• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Greetings all from an older cuber :)

RDPearson

Hi All

I got my first cube when they first came out way back in the 80's :)
It took some time but with trial and error and books I eventually learned how to do it. I still remember the old algs to this day lol. I average about 3 mins using those algs.

Earlier this year I decided to start on learning newer and better algs to see what times I can manage. Also to give me something to do during lockdown.
I am learning the CFOP method. I am getting reasonable at the cross now, anywhere between 3-10 seconds depending on the scramble.
The F2L I can do intuitively but I am not very efficient and taking some time to find the pairs.
I use 2 look for OLL & PLL.

I am now averaging around 55 seconds with a personal best of 35.

I am trying to find a complete list of algs for F2L so that I can learn what is better on the cases I am bad at. I have checked so many sites and have so many algs saved for this that I am lost. Also ones I know I am really bad at I cant seem to find algs for. Something like corner in top layer and middle piece in centre layer but at opposite side of the cube from where it needs to go. Others too but thats the one I am currently trying to get better at.

I do plan on going full OLL & PLL at some stage but I know that my F2L is seriously letting me down so I think I need to do some serious work on that as my next step.

I recently bought a GAN 365 XS cube. Yeah overkill I know for my level but why not :)

Cheers
Richard

ep2

Hi All

I got my first cube when they first came out way back in the 80's :)
It took some time but with trial and error and books I eventually learned how to do it. I still remember the old algs to this day lol. I average about 3 mins using those algs.

Earlier this year I decided to start on learning newer and better algs to see what times I can manage. Also to give me something to do during lockdown.
I am learning the CFOP method. I am getting reasonable at the cross now, anywhere between 3-10 seconds depending on the scramble.
The F2L I can do intuitively but I am not very efficient and taking some time to find the pairs.
I use 2 look for OLL & PLL.

I am now averaging around 55 seconds with a personal best of 35.

I am trying to find a complete list of algs for F2L so that I can learn what is better on the cases I am bad at. I have checked so many sites and have so many algs saved for this that I am lost. Also ones I know I am really bad at I cant seem to find algs for. Something like corner in top layer and middle piece in centre layer but at opposite side of the cube from where it needs to go. Others too but thats the one I am currently trying to get better at.

I do plan on going full OLL & PLL at some stage but I know that my F2L is seriously letting me down so I think I need to do some serious work on that as my next step.

I recently bought a GAN 365 XS cube. Yeah overkill I know for my level but why not :)

Cheers
Richard

Check out JPerm on Youtube, he has some really nice tutorials for F2L and other stages of CFOP

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey welcome to the forums! It sounds like your head is in right place for some good CFOP progression. We can’t seem to state the value and benefits of intuitive F2L enough around here. Attached is an alg document that I like that’s pretty comprehensive for beginner and intermediate F2L users.

A four look last year makes sense at your speed. Happy solving, quarantine has made us all cube a bit more! Cheers,

RDPearson

Check out JPerm on Youtube, he has some really nice tutorials for F2L and other stages of CFOP
Thank you. I am already subscribed to his channel although a lot of his stuff is still a little too advance for me at this stage.

RDPearson

Hey welcome to the forums! It sounds like your head is in right place for some good CFOP progression. We can’t seem to state the value and benefits of intuitive F2L enough around here. Attached is an alg document that I like that’s pretty comprehensive for beginner and intermediate F2L users.

A four look last year makes sense at your speed. Happy solving, quarantine has made us all cube a bit more! Cheers,
Thanks for that doc. Looks very useful. Too much to remember lol

RDPearson

Welcome
Do you do any other puzzles they can be really fun
I have bought a few others over the last while. I have a 2x2, 4x4, 5x5, 4x2x2, 3x2x2, 3x3x2, 3x1x1, pyramid, and a couple of others that I dont know the names of. (12 sided one) and a couple of other 3x3 with different size pieces on the sides. I went a bit mad collecting them but most of them have been put down once I really got into the 3x3. Will get into them at some stage :) I also play competitive chess lol.

FluxDigital01

I recommend the square one. It's an unusually fun solve, and it shapeshifts. A nice break from the NxNxN puzzles.

I have bought a few others over the last while. I have a 2x2, 4x4, 5x5, 4x2x2, 3x2x2, 3x3x2, 3x1x1, pyramid, and a couple of others that I dont know the names of. (12 sided one) and a couple of other 3x3 with different size pieces on the sides. I went a bit mad collecting them but most of them have been put down once I really got into the 3x3. Will get into them at some stage :) I also play competitive chess lol.

And, the 12 sided one is called a Megaminx, the different size one is called a mirror blocks or bump cube.

As for improving F2L, I suggest looking into J Perm's tutorial for intuitive F2L, since learning algorithms are usually unnecessary unless it's a particularly difficult or long case.

RDPearson

I recommend the square one. It's an unusually fun solve, and it shapeshifts. A nice break from the NxNxN puzzles.

And, the 12 sided one is called a Megaminx, the different size one is called a mirror blocks or bump cube.

As for improving F2L, I suggest looking into J Perm's tutorial for intuitive F2L, since learning algorithms are usually unnecessary unless it's a particularly difficult or long case.

Thank you for the names. I also have a fluctuation angle cube. Its currently scrambled and I have no idea on how to get it done but thats a project for another day.

re F2L, thanks again. I am already subscribed to jperm's Youtube channel. He has been very helpful to get me to where I am now. I can solve all the cases intuitively but trying to get better ways to do so. EG if both pieces are together but the wrong way round in a wrong slot, I would currently move them out of the slot, then split them, then get them into position to rejoin, rejoin them and then reinsert in to the correct position. This takes quite a lot of moves and sometimes a few rotations too. I am not trying to memorize all the algs for it but I find going through the alg over and over helps me understand what it is the alg is actually doing. Once I have that then I can do it intuitively. Sometimes doing this causes a Eureka moment when suddenly something just becomes clear and you realize that you can knock off 3-4 moves off doing something. It doesnt take too many of those to be knocked off for the time to start coming down. As example I always used to do a Y' rotate then U to get into position. Suddenly going through some algs it dawned on me that I can do d to get the same position. Its little things like that I am finding out and finding so useful at the moment. I know its obvious in hindsight but I just did not see it at all.

Kaneki Uchiha

Are you ranked ?