• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Google Doodle Rubik's Cube

Jon Allan

Optimal solution and fastest possible time

(Hmm where did my post go? Hope this isn't a double post now...)

Optimal HTM solutions are length 16, but there seems to be no way to perform a half turn in one move with the keyboard, meaning the solution given earlier takes 19 moves, when using keys, but using the cursor 16 is possible.

There are only two optimal QTM solutions, at length 19 (a mirrored pair of the first 9 turns):
a) L F B' U U L L D' B R' D' L U D F L L U R'; and
b) L' D D R R F B' D B R' D' L U D F L L U R'

In STM those QTM solutions become length 15:
a) L S' z U2 L2 D' B R' D' L U D F L2 U R'
-> L S' L2 D2 R' B U' R' D L R F D2 L U' z; and
b) L' D2 R2 S' z D B R' D' L U D F L2 U R'
-> L' D2 R2 S' R B U' R' D L R F D2 L U' z

So, since s, m, and e work on the keyboard for the three slices, it's possible in 18 keystrokes:
LsLLDDrBurDLRFDDLu ; or
lDDRRsRBurDLRFDDLu

2dumbud.png

Running eighteen moves by keystrokes takes 10 seconds, however fast one types, even automating it via an AHK script which produces the required events within milliseconds one must still wait for the doodle to trundle on with animating the moves instructed.
Code:
#NoEnv 
SendMode Event
SetKeyDelay -1 -1
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% 
^+R::
Send LsLLDDrBurDLRFDDLu
;
Sleep 10000
return

I thought the animation looked faster with the mouse, but scripting mouse events necessitated leaving enough of a delay to put the time up to 10-12 seconds (and nearer 10 seconds it was not always performing every face turn in each run of the code).

2vimrer.png

If someone can do it in 15 moves (or less?!) in less than 10 seconds then they surely deserve a coconut.

Tempus

Did anyone else see this - Cube Chrome Lab? On that page it states that you can "Request access to the code used to build these experiments."
I was just going to post that, and you beat me to the punch by 4 minutes. Is it possible that this link just went live and wasn't present earlier in the day?