• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Good (cheap) way of filming solves ?

Kensmith13

Hey. I would like to start filming solves and uploading to YouTube hoping to get some critique from more experienced and more knowledgeable cubers. Not knowing anyone that cubes in person it's hard to just watch others and read to try and get better. I feel like if people are actually seeing what I'm doing and can give me constructive criticism. It will help a lot in solving.
So I was wondering a good (inexpensive) way of filming solves ?
My immediate assumption would be a go pro, but they are pretty expensive. Or just a basic camera and by a mini tri pod ? What do you guys think
Thanks

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use a webcam. I bought my fullHD Logitech c920 just for this purpose.
Pros:
Cheaper than goPro or any professional camera
The quality is quite amazing
Start recording takes just two clicks without getting up from a chair

Cons:
30fps (goPro is 60)
You can't use it as a substantive camera
If you are not a windows user, like me, then setting up the software part become a nightmare

JaredRB9000

I was thinking of doing something similar, when I realized my top 3 cameras are an iPod(broken stand), webcam(i think its like .001mp,, at like 10fps) and... a New 3DS XL.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
There always a budget action camera. But just use your phone. It's some thing you already have. You could put the phone on a stack of cubes. Find another way to time, eg a computer.

Kensmith13

I have my own laptop but the thing is 5 years old and ever since I mistakenly "upgraded" from windows 7 to 10 the thing has been so sluggish to use.. I do have a tablet though so maybe a phone
Tri pod? I was looking on amazon and they seem to be pretty cheap. I could use the phone to record and tablet to time solves?

Kensmith13

Phone is completely fine. I used it for a lot of my videos. These solves at the end of the video (around 5:02) were done on a phone that was just propped up on a music stand.
I use a Logitech webcam (c525). You don't even need to get up from your chair. And I did a headmount with just an elastic band :)
And check out the paperclip phone stand that you could make within a minute and costs virtually nothing!
Yeah, time with the tablet film with the phone, what's your average, if it's above 14 secs I could kind of critic.
If you have/have access to a computer, you could time your solves on that (at least the ones you want to film).

I uploaded an average of 12 if anybody would like to review and critique !! If there's a better place in the forums to be posting this let me know so I can get more help !

Thanks everyone !

(Full screen 720p for best picture)

Last edited: