• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Good 4x4 Cubes for Beginners?

camocuber

I am really new to cubing, as in I started getting into it a couple days ago. I've been able to solve the 3x3 for a while, but am now learning the 4x4. I have Rubik's brand 3x3 and 4x4 but I bought the Dayan GuHong V2 which should be coming soon. At least I hope so. I'm getting fustrated with the 4x4 Rubik's with the bad turning and catching, and I have looked online and on YouTube, but I'm just not sure. What would be a good cube that's not too pricey? Was the GuHong V2 a good 3x3 to get?
Also, if you have any other suggestions on cubes that would be good to have, please let me know. I just got the gearball which i find extremely fun to solve, and I also have a curvey copter and a mirror cube coming in the mail. I was fascinated with both of them when I saw them, so I decided they would be a fun challange.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
ShengShou. It's cheap and very good.
The GuHong v2 is a very good cube; one of the fastest cubers in the world uses it (or a v1, can't remember, but they aren't too different except the v2 having torpedoes I think, but again I could be wrong).

also welcome to the forums

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome!

I would either recommend a shengshou 4x4 or a moyu Aosu/Weisu (Aosu is better). Honestly, my first 4x4 was a shengshou, but I didn't like it at first because it takes a bit of time to break in and I wasn't doing lots of solves on it, so I opted to buy an Aosu after a few weeks. It's kind of expensive, but I think it's only 16 dollars on cubezz.com.

Happy cubing (and 4x4ing)

camocuber

Thanks! That makes me glad. I was especially on YouTube looking it up vs. a Zhanchi and I hope I made the right choice. I see a lot of people using Zhanchi's and I'm not quite sure about the pros and cons of either cube still because each review is a little different about what they say, but I hope it was a good choice. Then again, anything is better than Rubik's brand cube I presume.

camocuber

Thanks :) I shall have to look into finding it cheap somewhere! Besides cubezz.com, what are some other good stores to look into? I found Lightake which seems to have things pretty cheaply and that's where I'm getting my mirror cube. I ordered my GuHong from the speedcubeshop but I have found it elsewhere for a couple bucks cheaper. I heard hknowstore would be a good place to look, any other suggestions?

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lightake, wallbuys, and cubezz are probably the cheapest stores. And amazon has some good prices occasionally but they usually don't have the most recent cubes.

Future Cuber

I'd go for an Aosu is the price is not an issue
... and well if it is , I'd go for a shengshou 4x4
Aosu is is $27 and the Shengshou v5 is $9
on thecubicle.us

Future Cuber

ShengShou. It's cheap and very good.
The GuHong v2 is a very good cube; one of the fastest cubers in the world uses it (or a v1, can't remember, but they aren't too different except the v2 having torpedoes I think, but again I could be wrong).

also welcome to the forums
Yes the V2 has torpedoes

Future Cuber

And the corner base is slightly different to fit the torpedoes. But the performance is identical really.

Anyway for a beginner 4x4 I suggest the Moyu Weisu, but if your tight on money, get the Shengshou 4x4.

Ooh yea....What an idoit i am......did'nt notice that...
but it is like as if there is no difference at all

camocuber

Looks like I'll save up some more money to buy a Weiso or Aosu. Which one would be better?

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just started recently too. A friend got me a rubik's 4x4 ind it was sooo bad. I got a pillowed v-cube. It catches sometimes but is very nice to turn, and the pillowed is fun to use. I'm sure some other brands are slightly faster for speed solving, but he v-cube pillowed is just a joy to solve.

tpt8899

I would really recommend the Moyu Aosu. I just started 4x4, and I love it!

camocuber

I just started recently too. A friend got me a rubik's 4x4 ind it was sooo bad. I got a pillowed v-cube. It catches sometimes but is very nice to turn, and the pillowed is fun to use. I'm sure some other brands are slightly faster for speed solving, but he v-cube pillowed is just a joy to solve.
I'm not sure I want a pillowed. I think they look nice, but I've heard they can be a little harder to control like turning it. I'm not sure, but thanks for the recommendation anyhow.And yes, the Rubik's is horrible! I got so angry with it that I haven't even tried again. I don't know how to solve it yet either, was there a good tutorial you used? I I think eventually I'm getting me an Aosu which seems to be really amazing.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure I want a pillowed. I think they look nice, but I've heard they can be a little harder to control like turning it. I'm not sure, but thanks for the recommendation anyhow.And yes, the Rubik's is horrible! I got so angry with it that I haven't even tried again. I don't know how to solve it yet either, was there a good tutorial you used? I I think eventually I'm getting me an Aosu which seems to be really amazing.

Ya, the pillowed was a little hard to control when I got it but I got used to it, and I'm not looking to be a "speed cuber" yet. I don't have anything by Moyu but it seems that they cannot do anything wrong. :p

As far as solving a 4x4 I forgot what youtube video I watched. I have a hard time understanding the letters in algorithms and do much better just watching someone do it. Matching the centers should be intuitive and the more you do it you will start learning how to move pieces without messing everything up. You need to learn an algorithm for pairing edges, and one for the final edges. Then there are only 2 issues where you might have to flip two edge pieces, or swap to edges that are across from each other ("parity" errors). 3 of the algorithms are quite simple, but this is not the forum for that.

I'll just say that my only experience is with the Rubik's and V-Cube pillowed. I am 100% happy with my v-cube. I love the pillowed aspect for the feel of it, it looks good, I've had no issues with stickers since I make sure my hands are clean and am pretty nice to the cube (although V-Cubes gives you a free extra set of stickers in case they start peeling), and have had absolutely no popping. Now I don't know if that would be the case if I could solve it under 30 seconds instead of 4 minutes but for now it is a pleasure to play with.

Happy cubing!