• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

God's number proven at 20

Alex DiTuro

Premium Member
WCA
2008DITU01
YouTube
Visit Channel

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Why the facepalm? Was it such a trivial problem you had figured it out already?

Also, where have you been? This was fairly big news for the cubing community.

hic0057

WCA
2010HICK01
"The research, published online, ends a 30-year search for the most efficient way to correctly align the 26 colored cubes that make up Erno Rubrik's 1974 invention."[/U][/U]

Last time i count there was 20 colored cubes and 1 core not 26. They count the core in 6 piece not just 1.

hawkmp4

"The research, published online, ends a 30-year search for the most efficient way to correctly align the 26 colored cubes that make up Erno Rubrik's 1974 invention."[/U][/U]

Last time i count there was 20 colored cubes and 1 core not 26. They count the core in 6 piece not just 1.

8 corners + 12 edges + 6 centres. I think it's a forgivable offense. At least they realised that the cube is comprised of pieces, not just stickers.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You are a retard.
This.

Also, "international team" does not mean several hundred people from different countries and millions in grant money. It means a handful of people who don't happen to be from the same country (because, hey, they met and shared a lot of their research online, so country is irrelevant). What, do you think people from different countries shouldn't be allowed to work together on the same project? You fail.

krnballerzzz

WCA
2006KANG01
I don't understand the OP's frame of mind. Wasting resources for the sake of figuring out something useless? That can be applied to like 90% of the things in our lives outside medicine, food, and basic hygiene. Maybe he's trying to troll us. Hmmm~

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Eugh, the Daily Mail did a small article on this: I don't have it to hand, but they put in a flippant comment saying something along the lines of "but there still might be a 21-move scramble, because not every position was checked". I think they interpreted the fact that the number of cases solved was reduced by so many factors due to symmetry and whatnot meant that the the results were simply extrapolated.

For what it's worth, they have an online article that isn't the same, and doesn't make short-sighted conclusions like the one in the paper.

guusrs

WCA
1982RAZO01
Awesome achievement! I didn't expect this till 2024 (50 years after Rubik invented the cube)
I already thought it was 20 moves during a very long time, about 25 years, but that was based on statistical calculation.
Gus

tkcube1

YouTube
Visit Channel
Breaking News on Rubiks Cube!

Ok I haven't been in this forum alot since I quit cubing, but I saw this and looked at the most recent threads and nothing has been posted so here it is. http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/...-every-possible-rubik-s-cube-solution/1407748 . I found this on the front page of Yahoo. It appears that it can be solved in 20 moves or less every time. Sorry if this has been posted, like i said, I don't keep up with this stuff anymore.