• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

God's number proven at 20

penfold1992

it was suspected to be 20 but mearly solving all cases still isnt satisfying... a nice mathematical explanation would do and the guy/girl who does it will probably get a group theory prize too

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You're disappointed? It can still be proven with maths - if that happened first humans would probably have never traversed every permutation that exists. We did well to take this route imo ^_^

Did anyone else think of Google's SECRET BEOWULF CLUSTER SUPERCOMPUTER like the Large Hadron Collider for cubers?

rokicki

Computational proof

Every bound since Thistlethwaite's 52 for this puzzle depended on exhaustive search. Earlier, higher bounds were based on the exhaustive search of smaller groups and factor spaces. Some might consider it a feature of Rubik's cube, that the distance of a position cannot be easily estimated by some structural property.

Personally, I was holding out hope for finding a distance-21 position. Now that would have been very nice.

I've been trying to simplify, analyze, and solve this problem using non-exhaustive methods for years, and have come up all but empty. There are some small observations (for instance, some small number of the H-cosets have distance 18) but, in the end, very little "simple structure" to the group that I could figure out how to exploit. For many of these puzzles, I fear that's the nature of the beast.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
New FMC goal for everyone... get a sub 20 official solution :p
Cool... 20 moves for any case...
"Distance-20 positions are both rare and plentiful; they are rarer than one in a billion positions, yet there are probably more than one hundred million such positions."
Haha, loved this sentence.
And what is the average required amount of moves? I realise 18 moves is the most common, but is 15-16 about average?
Coool :D

rokicki

And what is the average required amount of moves? I realise 18 moves is the most common, but is 15-16 about average?
Coool :D

The average is 17.7; most positions (about 2 in 3) have an optimal solution 18 twists long.

Zubon

This is a very significant achievement in the history of the Rubik's cube.

Glad it has finally been done but it does remove some of the mystique surrounding the 3x3.

hawkmp4

On to 4x4! ;)

Edit: This isn't serious. Not at this point in time, at least.

mrCage

Exactly how many positions are of maximum distance from solved? And are all these symmetrical positions??

Per

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Exactly how many positions are of maximum distance from solved? And are all these symmetrical positions??

Per
"Distance-20 positions are both rare and plentiful; they are rarer than one in a billion positions, yet there are probably more than one hundred million such positions. We do not yet know exactly how many there are."

Kryptonite

This is awesome. Though I agree, it would have been sweet if there was exactly one distance-21 position we could marvel at.

RCTACameron

WCA
2010STOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On to 4x4! ;)

Edit: This isn't serious. Not at this point in time, at least.

What about 2x2?

I'm wondering if it's a coincidence how there is exactly 20 pieces (12 edges and 8 corners.) This is excluding the core but that doesn't change position.

I wonder if God's Number for 2x2 would be 8 moves.

Anyway, this is amazing. :)