• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Getting Sub-5 min

comady25

I am VERY new to cubing and have been following the LBL Vanilla Method with averages of 8:00:00, also having to follow notaition I wrote on a sheet, because there was way too many algs to memorize. I need something to get me quicker times, easy to learn, and very few algs. If you could do this I would be very grateful ;).

xXzaKerXx

LBL can be used to acheive a sub-20 average. You just have to be very comfortable with fingertricks and memorise the algorithms well enough. 8 algos is not too many. And lubricate your cube with a silicone-based lube.

comady25

LBL can be used to acheive a sub-20 average. You just have to be very comfortable with fingertricks and memorise the algorithms well enough. 8 algos is not too many. And lubricate your cube with a silicone-based lube.

Where can I get that way because my way has 12 algs and I'd rather not learn 12 algs.

xXzaKerXx

Pogobat, duh. But many pros say it's difficult to change to Fridrich after that. So it's better to decide which method to use later on and go straight to that once you hit a sub-1.10 avg for LBL.

333rd post :D

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you really don't like learning algs I wouldn't recommend speedcubing. Not that you have to learn tons of algs to get fast, but it certainly helps. Not wanting to take the time to memorize the easiest algs (sune, FsexyF', Uperm) pretty much guarantees you'll never get very fast.

Here is the site i learned from originally. It uses 2 algs for the middle layer, and 7 for the last layer.
http://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html

jiggy

I'm afraid I have to throw in with Rpotts. 12 algs isn't very many, I don't encourage that you quit, but I do recommend that you commit and learn the small handful beginner's method requires.

I always say that this is the best beginner's method out there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=609nhVzg-5Q

But, to be honest, a beginner's method is a beginner's method, it doesn't really matter.

EDIT:
What's a vanilla method?

By vanilla, I believe he means something like this:

Lars Petrus said:
In the final of the Swedish championship, 8 of 11 competitors used a vanilla layer-by-layer method.
Vanilla = bland/boring. But I've been wrong in the past.

Last edited:

irontwig

WCA
2010JERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Where can I get that way because my way has 12 algs and I'd rather not learn 12 algs.

This method requires but two algs (Niklas and Sune), but more thinking:
http://lar5.com/cube/index.html

1-3 algs, depending on what count as intuitive:
http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/8355

peedu

Cube is not just for solving quickly. There is also some fun in finding your own way to solve it.

I created my own algorithms for LBL method loooooooong loooooooong time ago.

Also I kept my cube(s) in a locker for 12 years to see if I can forget and start over. I could. Fingers not.

So, go ahead and do the intuitive parts of Friedrich by yourself. There was just one scenario on F2L that I needed to find a variation for.

You will learn algorithms on the way any way.

Resistance is futile!

Peedu

comady25

I'm afraid I have to throw in with Rpotts. 12 algs isn't very many, I don't encourage that you quit, but I do recommend that you commit and learn the small handful beginner's method requires.

I always say that this is the best beginner's method out there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=609nhVzg-5Q

But, to be honest, a beginner's method is a beginner's method, it doesn't really matter.

EDIT:
What's a vanilla method?

By vanilla, I believe he means something like this:

Lars Petrus said:
In the final of the Swedish championship, 8 of 11 competitors used a vanilla layer-by-layer method.
Vanilla = bland/boring. But I've been wrong in the past.

Well guess what? I LEARNED THE REAMAINING 3 ALGS IN 1 HOUR! WOOT:D

(about 5 min;))

comady25

Getting sub-5 min has been achieved WOOT 4:00:94

First attempt: 05:49.11
Second attempt: 4:00:94
Third attempt: 04:40.29
Average: 04:50.11

Last edited:

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
LBL is a dumb way to solve the cube IMHO. I would go with what irontwig suggested and use 8355, or [wiki]sexy method[/wiki] ... it's easy and uses a single 4-move alg.

AngeL

12 algs really isn't much. I learned all the algs for my beginner method in a day when I first started cubing. Just do the alg you're working on over and over until it's in your muscle memory.

comady25

12 algs really isn't much. I learned all the algs for my beginner method in a day when I first started cubing. Just do the alg you're working on over and over until it's in your muscle memory.

If you haven't already, read this:

Well guess what? I LEARNED THE REAMAINING 3 ALGS IN 1 HOUR! WOOT:D
I know its not much. Thats why I did it.

Last edited:
O

Owen

I would recomend corners first. I averaged 30 seconds with a 5 alg. corners first, and I average 25 seconds with a 15 alg. corners first.