• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Get me under 1 min

BlueCollarJay

Hey guys. I’ve been cubing for about a month now. I’m averaging about 1:45 to solve. Right now I know F2l but need to improve. I’m pretty good with 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL. Could I get a step by step on how to get from where I am to under 1 min solves?

BlueCollarJay

Thanks man. Yes. I’m at it. I’m kinda looking to see if I should learn more f2l cases, learn full oll, or learn full pll? How long does it take most to get under 1 min?

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Hey guys. I’ve been cubing for about a month now. I’m averaging about 1:45 to solve. Right now I know F2l but need to improve. I’m pretty good with 2 look OLL and 2 look PLL. Could I get a step by step on how to get from where I am to under 1 min solves?
Practice F2L ... I don't think drilling F2L algs is particularly useful. There is more to be had by learning F2L intuitively. So spend time, not timing yourself, and look at each case as you do them and work out ways to pair pieces up and how they move around the cube. Try reduce rotations where you can, but remember that sometimes a rotation is quicker than some weird moves. Work on slotting F2L pairs in the back, which will help your look ahead in time to come.

BlueCollarJay

Practice F2L ... I don't think drilling F2L algs is particularly useful. There is more to be had by learning F2L intuitively. So spend time, not timing yourself, and look at each case as you do them and work out ways to pair pieces up and how they move around the cube. Try reduce rotations where you can, but remember that sometimes a rotation is quicker than some weird moves. Work on slotting F2L pairs in the back, which will help your look ahead in time to come.
Thanks so much. I've been working on understanding how to pair up when bringing out of slots. Working on that and the side by side top cases. After I'm proficient with f2l. Do you suggest full oll or full pll?

Boogie dude

I use CFOP. My method is still what I call sloppy and I pause loads. My solve times are nearly all below 1 minute.
I actually hit 41.75 yesterday. Considering I’m rusty I’m well happy. I now have a magnetic gan
My advice is just practice, and memorise as many oll and pll Algs.
I’m sure you will be breaking 1 mins in no time. I am now aiming for sub 30’s just enjoy and relax.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
Thanks so much. I've been working on understanding how to pair up when bringing out of slots. Working on that and the side by side top cases. After I'm proficient with f2l. Do you suggest full oll or full pll?
Once you're happy with how your F2L is going move onto learning full PLL. PLL's are quite easy to get through. OLL's do take longer but that's because the recognition is harder and there are more cases.

As for F2L check out J-Perm's video on learning intuitive F2L. Definitely check out the rest of his videos ...

BlueCollarJay

I use CFOP. My method is still what I call sloppy and I pause loads. My solve times are nearly all below 1 minute.
I actually hit 41.75 yesterday. Considering I’m rusty I’m well happy. I now have a magnetic gan
My advice is just practice, and memorise as many oll and pll Algs.
I’m sure you will be breaking 1 mins in no time. I am now aiming for sub 30’s just enjoy and relax.
Thanks for the motivation. I'm working diligently. You are right. I may need to relax

BlueCollarJay

Once you're happy with how your F2L is going move onto learning full PLL. PLL's are quite easy to get through. OLL's do take longer but that's because the recognition is harder and there are more cases.

As for F2L check out J-Perm's video on learning intuitive F2L. Definitely check out the rest of his videos ...

Yes. This video is gonna help. Thanks. Do you if its a way to easily recreate the cases to be able to practice.

U

Underwatercuber

I got to around 50 seconds with just begginers method so it’s mostly just practice. After that my progression to sub 20 went like this
F2L
2 look PLL
2 look OLL
Full PLL

Then to averaging 12 it was
Full OLL
COLL

Simon.

You must practice I'm cubing about 4 years but i started with 10 minutes but last year i get under minute and under 18 seconds. You must prectice but after you get under minute it going fast to be sub 20, sub 15 and faster.

If I were you I would learn full pll and then full oll, but after that you could learn vls or winter variation with coll.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My suggestions:

1) Look up JPerm's videos on finger tricks. If you're using full hand/wrist rotations, his tips will immediately make you faster. If you're not using full rotations, you'll still likely pick up something you didn't know.

2) Practice. Lots and lots of practice.

3) Do lots of handling the cube, even when you're not "solving" or "practicing". Sitting there watching TV? Turn the cube. A lot. Get used to turning smoothly and accurately. When you decide to learn full PLL, use the time like this to practice algorithms rather than just random turning.

4) Practice some more.

Jnt224

If you haven't gotten a speedcube yet then I highly suggest getting one. When I was above 1min my times dropped to the 40s once I got a speedcube. for a nice budget cube I suggest maybe a yuxin little magic.
If you want improvement now you could start by getting comfortable with F2L and just do a lot of solves and you'll be there in no time. I don't suggest learning Oll and Pll maybe until your sub 30

Tom Joad

I got to around 50 seconds with just begginers method so it’s mostly just practice. After that my progression to sub 20 went like this
F2L
2 look PLL
2 look OLL
Full PLL

Then to averaging 12 it was
Full OLL
COLL

In hindsight, when would you say is the best time to learn COLL?

I average 16/17 but still have so much other stuff I could improve, not sure I should bother with COLL yet.

U

Underwatercuber

In hindsight, when would you say is the best time to learn COLL?

I average 16/17 but still have so much other stuff I could improve, not sure I should bother with COLL yet.
If you are done with OLL and PLL then it’s a good time to learn COLL I guess