• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Gans Puzzle--Gan2 3x3x3 Magic Cube Review

WitEden

Size:55.5MM

weight:about 86g

Video:
[video]http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMjY0Nzc3NzA0/v.swf[/video]

gan2-0.jpg

gan2-1.jpg

gan2-2.jpg

gan2-3.jpg

gan2-4.jpg

gan2-5.jpg

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it good? Doesn't seem to be stickerless anymore tho

It's not out yet so who knows?
It's not stickerless but has really skimpy corners with screws in them and three-part spring-loaded edges. The First version had an interesting design concept too, but that didn't make it a good speedcube...
Springs and screws in the edge pieces to flexibly hold what looks like an anti-pop piece has to be a first though. Never seen anything like it on a 3x3x3.

The low weight is probably also achieved by the crappy plastic that ruined the first version.

Think I'll just buy it because of the interesting design, not expecting much in terms of performance though....

Last edited:

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right, the centers look too much like those on the 1st version of this cube but are slightly more square shaped. I'm pretty sure that the centers are what cause the first version of the cube to lock as bad as it does. I'll compare the two when I get this one in a few weeks.

Last edited:

daniel0731ex

Holy carp this thing is genius!

I actually doubted the effect of the flexible edge piece have on improving corner cutting, but after seeing the design of the corner piece, I realized that it would actually eliminate reverse-cutting lockups completely.

The only source of lock-ups when attempting a reverse corner-cutting is the outside cubies catching on each other; edge-to-edge and center-to-corner.
But for the inside section of the pieces, it makes no difference to them whether you are doing a foward or reverse cutting. It doesn't matter to them, as they simply glide over each other anyway.
What this means that if you eliminate the only factor causing the locks (the outside cubies "pushing" against each other in when reverse-cutting), the cube could reverse-cut at extreme angles, which is what the design have done here.
In addition, the profile of the corner piece (I'll explain how that works later) combined with the flexible edge cubie will allow all angles of foward-cutting to be almost indifferent from each other (meaning that it takes approximately the same amount of force to cut 1/2 cubie as to cut 1 cubie).

Wow, the cubing world really is changing dramatically, just in a course of one month :O

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Holy carp this thing is genius!

I actually doubted the effect of the flexible edge piece have on improving corner cutting, but after seeing the design of the corner piece, I realized that it would actually eliminate reverse-cutting lockups completely.

The only source of lock-ups when attempting a reverse corner-cutting is the outside cubies catching on each other; edge-to-edge and center-to-corner.
But for the inside section of the pieces, it makes no difference to them whether you are doing a foward or reverse cutting. It doesn't matter to them, as they simply glide over each other anyway.
What this means that if you eliminate the only factor causing the locks (the outside cubies "pushing" against each other in when reverse-cutting), the cube could reverse-cut at extreme angles, which is what the design have done here.
In addition, the profile of the corner piece (I'll explain how that works later) combined with the flexible edge cubie will allow all angles of foward-cutting to be almost indifferent from each other (meaning that it takes approximately the same amount of force to cut 1/2 cubie as to cut 1 cubie).

Wow, the cubing world really is changing dramatically, just in a course of one month :O

that is a big thing to say without trying the cube. I wonder if does play that well.