• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Gan 12

Kaiju_cube

is it just me or is it a bit weird it's supposed to come out tomorrow (two new Gan 12's,the Maglev and the Leap)... and there's really no promotion on them? There's a couple videos on YouTube but where are the promotions? The pre-orders from The Cubicle?

idk man, .. I'm not conspiracy theory guy but it seems a lot like Gan saw MoYu drop a Maglev RS3M out of nowhere and just jumped in going, "YEAH US TOO WE ALSO HAVE THAT!!"

I've seen one promotional image for Gan 12 and it's a photoshop ad. That's it. The videos I've seen for all I know they're just a Gan Duo (I admit I didn't watch the whole video I saw of someone using what they said was a 12)

And there's the one Chinese video translated that shows the larger core magnets.

Just seems sketchy and weird. The Gan 11 had lots of promotion and pre-order sales on The Cubicle and SpeedCubeShop,.. but here we have the Gan 12 supposed to come out tomorrow and it's just crickets?

asdf.png

It really feels like they're just rushing to get something out there because MoYu dropped the Maglev and the WRM2021 (which are both nice)...then the Tornado V2 seems to be getting popular.

I saw Max Park using a WRM2021 on youtube...

I suspect Gan is just rushing to get their name back out there and not be overshadowed by competition. I mean the photoshop ad could be done in an afternoon,.. and the video doesn't exactly seem polished either.

1632494895352.png

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know. Maybe GAN wants to introduce the cube, hope it gets popular like the Tornado V2M, and then release more variants later. But I really don't know why they haven't dropped the promotions yet. As you said:
It really feels like they're just rushing to get something out there because MoYu dropped the Maglev and the WRM2021 (which are both nice)...then the Tornado V2 seems to be getting popular.
Yeah. Most likely. I mean, it'll release tomorrow in India, although I'm not sure when it'll get in stock in Cubelelo. I assume the product may feel rushed, because I think it was supposed to come out at a later date, but since MoYu dropped their idea of a Maglev firrst, GAN didn't want to get overshadowed and bring out their version, in order to divert people's attention from the RS3M 2021 to the GAN 12. But, if they really wanted to do that, they should've started advertising in August, so as to gain the attention. But it failed. Still, it's a GAN cube, but what's the difference? Just better core magnets, and an experimental tensioning system for the low price of $75 (maybe, not sure)? I dunno. Seems like the RS3M is the way to go here. But who knows, maybe the GAN's tensioning system might just be better.

kubesolver

Premium Member
I'm not conspiracy theory guy but it seems a lot like Gan saw MoYu drop a Maglev RS3M out of nowhere and just jumped in going, "YEAH US TOO WE ALSO HAVE THAT!!"

I don't know what happened but say gan could have a new cube with this maglev system ready but didn't plan too release it before the M11 sales slow down.

But given the competition actions they decide to rush the release.

That doesn't sound like anything fishy nor conspiracy worth.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know what happened but say gan could have a new cube with this maglev system ready but didn't plan too release it before the M11 sales slow down.

But given the competition actions they decide to rush the release.

That doesn't sound like anything fishy nor conspiracy worth.
Maybe, but still, it's possible that the performance may be affected by this rushed release.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
That's a lot of engineering in that $78 cube and it also has a lot of magnets (76, I think), as well as UV. So, it is better value than the 11 M Pro UV. The ultimate question is still how much actual improvement (or owner satisfaction) you can get out of all the advanced features.

Based on the latest info, the UI (smart version) will be able to swap core with the Leap. So, the Leap appears to be the one intended for competitions and it's the more flexible version of the two un-smart versions, i.e. it can use the smart core for ease of data recording and analyses, but change its pieces for competitions.

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
$78? That's a 13 dollar increase from last year. That means in 2023, GAN cubes will exceed $100! No. Just no. Why? Just why? Why can't we just get a core swap between the RS3M and the WRM 2021 and get the same things? Why do we have to pay $78 for this? Why are its flagships going up in price, while other flagships are going down? That makes it appeal to less people, doesn't it? Why do we, the consumers, pay $78, for a cube, with two repelling magnets, superlight pieces and core magnets, when we can compromise on most of these things and make the maglev system ourselves, and make the core magnets ourself. This is getting ridiculous now. If GAN would just make a core swap, there would be literally no difference between this and the 11M pro, besides the weight.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
$78? That's a 13 dollar increase from last year. That means in 2023, GAN cubes will exceed $100! No. Just no. Why? Just why? Why can't we just get a core swap between the RS3M and the WRM 2021 and get the same things? Why do we have to pay $78 for this? Why are its flagships going up in price, while other flagships are going down? That makes it appeal to less people, doesn't it? Why do we, the consumers, pay $78, for a cube, with two repelling magnets, superlight pieces and core magnets, when we can compromise on most of these things and make the maglev system ourselves, and make the core magnets ourself. This is getting ridiculous now. If GAN would just make a core swap, there would be literally no difference between this and the 11M pro, besides the weight.
After the first round of sales, there may be after a few months after Christmas, I hope, a Lite version, like a GAN 12 Duo (?), without the UV, and the extra core magnets, selling for $59.90. Pure speculation. ;)

Has anyone ordered from this Gancube shop? Please share your experience and any problems, besides the delayed shipping time.

ender9994

WCA
2008GROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
After the first round of sales, there may be after a few months after Christmas, I hope, a Lite version, like a GAN 12 Duo (?), without the UV, and the extra core magnets, selling for $59.90. Pure speculation. ;)

Has anyone ordered from this Gancube shop? Please share your experience and any problems, besides the delayed shipping time.

Shipping from Gan puzzle to the u.s is $17 for most orders and takes about 3 weeks.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
$78? That's a 13 dollar increase from last year. That means in 2023, GAN cubes will exceed $100! No. Just no. Why? Just why? Why can't we just get a core swap between the RS3M and the WRM 2021 and get the same things? Why do we have to pay $78 for this? Why are its flagships going up in price, while other flagships are going down? That makes it appeal to less people, doesn't it? Why do we, the consumers, pay $78, for a cube, with two repelling magnets, superlight pieces and core magnets, when we can compromise on most of these things and make the maglev system ourselves, and make the core magnets ourselves. This is getting ridiculous now. If GAN would just make a core swap, there would be literally no difference between this and the 11M pro, besides the weight.
Shush now. Just wait until we have a bunch a video's and these less experienced 11-13 year old American kids get their parents to buy them one then overhype it just because they see "Professionals" use it. Remember the GAN XS was considered really pricey? Now it's almost cheap compared to these newer ones. They should really take a look at Qiyi who started out with the $20 Valk and progressed to a $45 Valk Elite m and then went back down to a $25 phenomenal flagship. Or Moyu which released cubes more consistent in feel then Qiyi's but still, they brought the price down. Now w have GAN who's going to to pull the 11 move and rerelease there cubes with minimal difference. And don't tell me I'm wrong. 1632540473236.png
I'm pretty sure that means more 12's

__
1632540529387.png

"Miracle" seems like a poor choice of words. WOAJ! It turns fast. What a MIRACLE!
____

I do like the Marvel theme though,
1632540630417.png
1632540652287.png

Last edited:

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
A big question for me is how much use of maglev changes the turning feel. From video I have seen, due to the lack of friction and also the force from adjacent magnets, pushing as well as pulling, the top layer can bounce back if pushed up to 30 degrees and then let go. And then after exceeding a certain angle, that layer will just snap smartly to the next position. This is exactly what I was talking about in another thread (about a spring loaded way of turning). This characteristic can be good as well as bad, depending on the setting and habits. It could mean some potential loss of control as a result of the exaggerated magnetic action, but it could also mean a new way of turning using less force (shorter quick flicks) and automatic perfect alignment (avoiding lockups or reliance on the need for a cube to have superior corner cutting quality). My guess is that it would be somewhat similar to when electronic keyboards replaced manual keys on an old typewriter, the kind that you had to push the keys all the way towards the ribbon and do so evenly on all keys to be able to type decent quality prints. If so, it could be much faster speeds, once the fingers learn to make use of this kind of cubes, but it would not feel the same and may even cause some problems if the settings are excessive. With keyboards, the early models were soon improved with keys with more travel and more analogue feeling. So, this is something to watch out for, and it would be interesting to see if indeed there is anything to worry about, when reviews are here.

Above gif is from an article found on Bilibili.com

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
Shush now. Just wait until we have a bunch a video's and these less experienced 11-13 year old American kids get there parents to buy them one then overhype it just because they see "Professionals" use it.
Dang, I'm pretty sure us Indian cubers who are in middle school won't even have the guts to speak about this cube in front of our parents, otherwise the entire neighbourhood will hear the yelling. (No seriously, 6000 rupees is a LOT. For that price, you can get a useable phone here).
5,757.23 rupees is the approximate price, although I expect Cubelelo will bump it up to around 6500 because of shipping costs from the manufacturer to India. Even I had the same principle back then, buy a GAN cube because GAN good, other cube bad.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
boycott gan

I think it's a matter of choice. We like great products at nice prices and it's great we can choose products like the Tornado V2, WRM 2021 and RSM 2020. We should support them. However, we also need innovation and continual improvement, and up to a point, support bold products made with sophisticated new designs. We all have different budgets. I'm fine if others are willing to pay for products that offer unique designs and features. For example, it costs extra money to make cubes with additional core magnets that can be replaced and still have light weight. Top end products always means diminished returns, less sales and risks in cost recovery for the manufacturers. It's good to have them. Worthwhile features will flow down to more affordable mass produced products in time. What I do not like is even higher prices due to fancy display boxes, fancy stands, bags... I would rather see money spent where it matters, eg in an easier to use adjustment tool than, for example, the tiny, cheap and fiddly 2-part tool for this Gan 12. It would be better if could have a proper handle. The much cheaper Tornado V2 has it.

Last edited: