• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Frankencube thread

Sion

I've been fidgeting with the cubes in my collection, and I've realized that some of them might actually be better when combined with parts from other cubes. A couple things I found:

The centers and core of the mr.m v2 are fully compatible with the corners and edges of the original valk 3. This is good, as it means that people could now give the valk 3 a spring compression system, which is not present in the stock valk 3. Center caps from the valk 3 (for stickerless models) are also compatible, but only after the use of some paper or tape to hold them in place.

It is fully possible to swap pieces from GAN releases around! My current favorite frankenstein creation is a GAN AIR M (new one) with an older core that supports IPGV3!

I encourage people to try these, and also to try and make their own franken cubes. Who knows, maybe someone will figure out something new!

Last edited:

xyzzy

I used a Valk M with the Valk Elite's core (with green springs) for a while. Solves the problem of the Valk's slowness, while also not being garbage like the stock Valk Elite is. (Switched back to my very vanilla and not-Frankenstein-y Tengyun after a while, though.)

Sub1Hour

WCA
2018BECK05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Imagine combining the pieces of any budget 3x3(say, Meilong) with a core from a Rubik's brand
(I've heard that people used to Frankenstein type B pieces with a Rubik's core in 2007-08)
This was very doable since basically every cube back then had a nearly identical mechanism to the original rubik's brand. There were a few differences in the plastic and if all sides of the pieces were filled etc. But there weren't many differences, making it very easy to piece a cube together with different edges corners, and cores.
I've been fidgeting with the cubes in my collection, and I've realized that some of them might actually be better when combined with parts from other cubes. A couple things I found:

The centers and core of the mr.m v2 are fully compatible with the corners and edges of the original valk 3. This is good, as it means that people could now give the valk 3 a spring compression system, which is not present in the stock valk 3. Center caps from the valk 3 (for stickerless models) are also compatible, but only after the use of some paper or tape to hold them in place.

It is fully possible to swap pieces from GAN releases around! My current favorite frankenstein creation is a GAN AIR M (new one) with an older core that supports IPGV3!

I encourage people to try these, and also to try and make their own franken cubes. Who knows, maybe someone will figure out something new!
My favorite frankencube that I've made was a Aoshi v2 and Yushi v2. I put a picture of it in the cubing gore thread but it just gave me a good laugh. I thought about how similar they felt, looked at the mechs, then swapped a few edges and centers. I think the Yushi was a bit better since the springs weren't nearly as strong, but it's still pretty cool how the visible pieces are basically identical