• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Florida Feast 2014

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's been asked for a few times, so here it is, a competition in Florida! It will be at the Museum of Science and Industry in Tampa, FL. It is a pretty cool museum, so if you find some down time I highly suggest checking it out since competitors get free admission!

Delegate: Kit Clement
Organizers: FatBoyXPC, TheBeard™

Events:
2x2 (3 rounds, 1 minute soft and hard cutoff)
3x3 (3 rounds)
FMC (best of one)
Clock (1 minute soft and hard cutoff)
Skewb (1 minute soft and hard cutoff)
Pyraminx (1 minute soft and hard cutoff)

Tentative Events:
4x4
3x3 OH
Square-1
3x3 Blindfolded

We did few events with a decent handful of tentative events just in case there ends up being a decent turn out. Since I have a small-ish dedicated staff team, I wanted to make sure things ran smoothly. We will fit in as many rounds of as many events as we can with any extra time we have.

Webpages here:
CubingUSA: http://www.cubingusa.com/florida2014
WCA: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/c.php?i=Florida2014

** Due to an incredible increase in competitors since the last competition in Florida, we have set a 60 competitor limit **

We've got some real awesome helpers flying down to help out, too, so don't miss this!

Yes, this is Thanksgiving weekend. Yes, this is the best date for delegate participation. If anything, holiday weekend is a good excuse for anybody up north to get warmed up a tad before winter really hits!

Oh, and for you Florida nerds, I mean cubers, who haven't joined yet, hit up the Florida Cubing Facebook group!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/floridacubing/

Last edited:

CuberM

WCA
2014HOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Since this is my first competition, I'm just wondering, do any events overlap each other?
And also, if evens are added, and we already registered for the events we want to do, how would we be able to participate in those newly added events?

Mikel

Premium Member
WCA
2011MIKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Since this is my first competition, I'm just wondering, do any events overlap each other?
And also, if evens are added, and we already registered for the events we want to do, how would we be able to participate in those newly added events?

The answer to your first question is no. See the schedule.

When you register, you click a box for the tentative events. This will let the organizers know you want to participate in those events if they are added.

rowan

WCA
2014HOLO01
Yay! I just registered, glad to see a comp nearby (within 8 hours) but this one is just so close.

Cool Frog and I are gonna try to get some people from our college into a course for solving cubes with Roux and bring 'em up to the comp so we'll see!

TeddyKGB

WCA
2012DELI01
Cool Frog and I are gonna try to get some people from our college into a course for solving cubes with Roux

Are these people that already know how to solve the cube with some other method and you're planning on teaching them roux? Or are these non cubers that you've decided not to give them an option as to which method they want to use?

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yay! I just registered, glad to see a comp nearby (within 8 hours) but this one is just so close.

Cool Frog and I are gonna try to get some people from our college into a course for solving cubes with Roux and bring 'em up to the comp so we'll see!

Feel free to post in the FB group! We've got a couple others from the Orlando area on the group, I believe.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Cool Frog still needs to register! :p

aHappyAsian

YouTube
Visit Channel
On second thought the main problem with Nats was that there were way to many people for that venue. It should be fine with a smaller competition like this

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, I think you're forgetting that Bob Burton has hosted multiple local competitions at exact same venue US Nats 2014 was at, albeit in a different part of the building, and he generally has over 100 competitors. I highly imagine we'll be under 50 competitors.