• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

F2L 15 OLS for ZZ (or CFOP) + proof of concept for a better way to deal with 3 corner OLS

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
(mostly useful for ZZ since it's more common)

Why F2L 15? Because when EO is done this F2L pair needs 11 moves using intuitive RUgen (the only other case that's like this other than CLS cases is F2L 23, which I might document at a later date... if I do it'll be in this thread so I avoid spamming)

How is this a proof of concept for 3 corner OLS? Basically, unless you have flipped edges (which ZZ solvers don't get) then recognizing 3 corner misoriented OLS is really really annoying. Even when you do have misoriented edges, it can be pretty hit or miss in a VLS context

The more oriented pieces before OLS, generally speaking, the faster you'll be able to recognize the case. Even two misoriented corners could be pushing it for some people (especially if the corners don't make headlights or a T shape)

Overall, given that this pair isn't the nicest to solve in an EO done context, I'm very happy with the 0-1 corner cases here and pretty happy with the 2 corner ones. Scroll to the bottom of the spoiler to see how I cleverly deal with the 3 corner cases (which are awful to recognize IMO and from what I can tell don't have good algs based on some CE testing)

(mostly genned by hand)

Sorted roughly the same way as VLS/WV

R' D' R U' R' D R U R U' R' or U2 R U R' into comm (can avoid diag PLL and get more EPLL this way, as well as PLL skips via zeroing)

R U2' R' U R U R' U R U' R'
R U' R U2' R2' U' R2 U' R2' (or R U' R' into TTLL)

U2 R U R' D R' U R U R' U2' R D'
D U' R' U' R U2 R' U' R D' U2 R U R'

U R U' R' U2 F' R U R' U' R' F R
R U2' R' U R U R' U2 R U2' R'

R U2' R' U' R U' R' U2 R U R'
R U' R' U' (R U' R' U)2 R U' R'
R U R' U2 R U' R' U2 R U2' R' or R F U R' U' R F' U' R'
U2 R U R' U R U R' U2' R U R'

U2 R U R' U' R U2' R' U R U R' or U R U2' R' U R U R' U2' R U R'
U2 R U2' R' U' R' F' R U R U' R' F
U2 R U2' R' U2 F' R U R' U' R' F R
U R U2' R' D R' U R U2' R' U R D' or y F R U' R' U2 R U' R' U' F'

(U' R U R')2 into same comm as case 0
U R U2' R' into same comm as case 0
U R U' R' U' R' F' R U R U' R' F
R' D' F2 D R D' r' F2 r D or R U2' R' U R U R2' F R U R U' R' F'

R U R' U2 R U' R' U R U' R'
R U R' U2 R U' R2' F R U R U' R' F'
R U R' U2 R U' R' L' U R U' R' L
R U R' U2 R U' R' U R U R' U' R U' R'

[I chose to simplify these since 3C recog sucks. Better algs probably exist, but the fact that all you need to do is look at the UFL corner and see it's facing left and then start the same way every time is v nice in actual solves :)]

For the other 4 cases, you can just do R U2' R' U R U R' U R U' R' and always avoid H/Pi (also one of them has a really nice WV). Kinda phoned it in here and wouldn't be surprised if there's a better approach using the same level of recog (maybe insert to BLE is better?)

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
We've had some similar ideas on ZMS but never formalised it in any way, so this is pretty useful. It's kinda like learning some EJLS to force OLL skips for 0 extra moves. For the bad cases, you could also learn CPLS/skip diag/force TUL or something like that. There are a lot of options to make your LL better.