• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Even cubic 7x7 question

richardzhang

YouTube
Visit Channel
I accutally think that is it possible to make an even v cube 7, because as you can see the stalks on the corner go into the core, therefore if you stretch 2 of the centers apart you will see it can actually be possible, am i right or is this a :fp thread?

Zubon

In this manner, almost all twisty puzzles can be extended to become cubic.
But the pieces will be quite different in size.

O

Owen

Off course it's possible! Everything is possible when you come to puzzle making!

nigtv

800px-LargeRubiksCube_Corners.png
That's why it doesn't work, I think.

KwS Pall

WCA
2008CABA03
and here comes the unequally sized cubic puzzle :p

that would be good for blindfolders - they would know how many layers they are turning :p

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I thought about that, it seems sound, but I think I may have a counter point to that. Don't the cubies get smaller and smaller as the number of layers increases? I'm not sure as I only have 3^3's

:fp The size of each piece doesn't matter - his image is still true if you scale everything up or down. You can't have a cubical 7x7 with all layers the same size (with the standard mechanism) no matter what size that is.

dunpeal2064

WCA
2009WHIT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
huh... I never acutally knew why this didn't work. Good to know.

Hmm... what if the piece that stuck out (the red peice in the pic) was attached further down, so it might become exposed but still be attached.

I've never had the chance to look at a 7x7, so this could totally be a fp moment

but remember, people once thought 6x6 and 7x7 were impossible altogether right?

iSpinz

WCA
2010INKJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Hmm... what if the piece that stuck out (the red peice in the pic) was attached further down, so it might become exposed but still be attached.

I've never had the chance to look at a 7x7, so this could totally be a fp moment

If it was possible, it would be made.

Namegoeswhere

It is possible and has been made.
Few pictured exist of it and it was never truely finished.
What it takes is flexing inner layers.
You are talking about the same problem that occurs on a 3x3x1, yet we are all very aware that a 3x3x1 is possible.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

If it was possible, it would be made.

A 17x17 is possible, has it been made?