• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Evan Liu - Clock WRs - 4.80 single, 5.94 average

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
These records are absolutely amazing and totally deserved.

Now the only question is... will there be a video? Not too hopeful since I know Evan doesn't record his own solves, but hopefully something surfaces!

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Such a video would be nice because of the two symbolic barriers being broken, but clock vids are generally not very useful to other cubers.

Congrats to Evan anyway.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Such a video would be nice because of the two symbolic barriers being broken, but clock vids are generally not very useful to other cubers.

Congrats to Evan anyway.

Over the shoulder/gopro angle ones are pretty good (ie when you can actually see the clocks moving), otherwise you're right, yeah, all you can see is rough turn speed and what time the rotation happened :p

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yay, results are finally posted!

Thanks everyone! I am extremely happy with becoming the first to break the sub5/sub6 barriers officially, especially since Yunho could very well do the same at his competition on Saturday.

These records are absolutely amazing and totally deserved.

Now the only question is... will there be a video? Not too hopeful since I know Evan doesn't record his own solves, but hopefully something surfaces!
I don't think there's any videos (since you weren't there to ninja film me :p), only lots of pictures of the 4.80 after it happened. I did all these solves at a station without a display, so people may not have noticed me in time, though Ming Zheng had a great idea to temporarily plug in the timer to a display for better photos of the 4.80 (in case any of you see said pictures).

Also, scrambles! Just an edge-center lucky case on both sides for the 4.80 - exactly the kind of scramble I like.

proof

WCA
2009ZHEN11
Yay, results are finally posted!

Thanks everyone! I am extremely happy with becoming the first to break the sub5/sub6 barriers officially, especially since Yunho could very well do the same at his competition on Saturday.

I don't think there's any videos (since you weren't there to ninja film me :p), only lots of pictures of the 4.80 after it happened. I did all these solves at a station without a display, so people may not have noticed me in time, though Ming Zheng had a great idea to temporarily plug in the timer to a display for better photos of the 4.80 (in case any of you see said pictures).

Also, scrambles! Just an edge-center lucky case on both sides for the 4.80 - exactly the kind of scramble I like.

I just witnessed the full process of the last solve 4.80, standing near Evan during right there. And I can't help shouting out after he stopped the timer. Those attracted persons surrounded us quickly, which makes me think of this idea :p

Evan Liu

WCA
2009LIUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't we all? :p

6.58, 6.50, (6.74), (5.70), 6.34 = 6.47
notevensubER... >.>

congratulations once again ^^
Haha, I kind of meant to imply that I prefer those over scrambles that seem objectively luckier, specifically those with an edge-center-edge triad formed, or an edge-center pair and another edge-edge pair on the same side formed. I think they flow better for me, or I'm simply less expecting of a good time and am able to just solve. Thanks again. :p

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha, I kind of meant to imply that I prefer those over scrambles that seem objectively luckier, specifically those with an edge-center-edge triad formed, or an edge-center pair and another edge-edge pair on the same side formed. I think they flow better for me, or I'm simply less expecting of a good time and am able to just solve. Thanks again. :p
Haha, fair enough. I just realised that was the case on my NR single scramble too :p (i got another edge-edge lucky case later in the solve however)