• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Euro 2010

Bogyo

WCA
2008BODO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Simon, Milán welcome to the sub1 club!:D
BTW, I really enjoyed the competition, except for the winning ceremony( :'( )...
Thanks for the organisation team for their work, and János légyszíves nyaljál nyulat.

gasmus

WCA
2007VALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Breandan - I have your maths folder :| Also, how long were you delayed for? Did you sleep okay? ANSWER MY QUESTIONS.

i know, i remembered about it in the morning but its not that important so i didnt wake you^^
i was delayed for 5 hours:/ we had engine failure on the way to the runwayO_O kinda scary but better then than about 5 mins later...
and yeah i slept really well thanks, but only for 3 and a half hours before i had to leave:S far better than nothing though!

anyway hope uni went ok today for you, and see you next month!^^

Slash

WCA
2008TROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm really proud of Cornelius. Remember, it wasn't sure he would come. Then he cubed so well that he could win money to come. This is very very respectable, congrats to him!!! And he behaved like a real sportsman with that samescramble 7.80:)

I sucked btw (except multi... but it was the first event so I wasnt tired)
János, anyád füléből a vazelint nyald ki légy oly szives (és ha már ott vagy, igazán fel is fordulhatnál)

Doudou

WCA
2004CHAM01
Ron,
I think the light was quite bad. Not natural at all and really too powerful. We're not blind! (except maybe Ville and Guillain ahah)

Cornelius,
It's really nice from you having said that it was a scramble you've already had. I think the community thanks you.

Erik,
Russia is part of Europe in all sports I know.

Mats,
1 Michal Pleskowicz 2.44 2.83 NR Poland 4.02 2.71 2.44 3.01 2.76
2 Mats Valk 2.68 3.36 Netherlands DNF 2.68 3.02 3.44 3.61
3 Cornelius Dieckmann 3.05 3.38 Germany 3.96 3.05 3.66 3.36 3.13
4 Edouard Chambon 2.90 3.39 France 3.86 2.90 3.43 3.71 3.03

The only time you talked to me in Budapest, you asked me what were my results in 2x2 just while they are displayed for 20min on the screen.
You're lucky I did not practice at all and did not care too much, but it's not your first time (always in such circumstances, what else?!).
I can see that getting taller does not make more intelligent.
And don't make me watch your videos to see how you stopped the timer.

Amos,
Thanks for everything, even if you did not do anything. :)

All,
For most of you, it was nice meeting you again.

Last edited:

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Doudou: I never said it wasn't like that, still I wanted to point out that Russia is a special case since 80% of the country is in Asia but most people live in the western-part.

Also reading your post I think you do care since you are insulting Mats, please keep it friendly.

Last edited:

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This time I was spectator , I had some mixed feelings, I was happy for the Polish cubers and very sad for Erik to miss out for a place of honour I think he had deserve a title. And of course I was very proud of Maarten to win Clock. There was a lot of excitement the times are so close to each other, it is amazing.

Not all went smooth though, I notice side stage was much better suitable as the main stage, and the stage setting was not that ideal. But overall I had a fun time and I was very relaxed for once. As spectator you like to see the solves in the big finals -the finals with 15 competitors- as much synchronized as possible, this will make it more fair I think. But also will make it more exciting to watch on the scoreboard.

Some things we can all think about, we should realize that we should not just sit done and relax all the time and I hope we see more volunteers to support the organisation.

Last edited:

hr.mohr

WCA
2007CHRI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you know...

Cross on left ftw?
Odder has crappy puzzles and is still fast?
Perge, Olivér is just pure awesome?
Mats and Erik performed fantastic and still "only" got 2nd places?
The TV guy had an awesome beard?
The TV guys was very good at standing in the way?
The winners ceremony was not just weird it was horrible?
Russia won the ultimate event?
There was more than one Jesus in Budapest? (proof will be posted later)
A medium steak in Budapest is raw?
The Norwegians got caught without a ticket?
Vodka Mellon causes Scandinavians to sing Eurovision song contest hits?

I had a great time even though my results sucked. It's so nice to meet you guys and have fun cubing and drinking ;)

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Is it too much to ask?
Pyraminx scrambles. Odder has been telling me there were several that were quite delicious. Particularly interested in the wr scramble. Apparently group one had a 5 move scramble :eek:

Mvcuber12

WCA
2007VALK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there someone who filmed my 11.09 sq1 solve and 8.91 3x3 solve? I would like to have them.

Anyway, it was a great time to meet everbody and thanks to everyone (especially Olivér, he did a great job!) who helped to make this competition possible.

CharlieCooper

Premium Member
WCA
2007COOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there someone who filmed my 11.09 sq1 solve and 8.91 3x3 solve? I would like to have them.

Anyway, it was a great time to meet everbody and thanks to everyone (especially Olivér, he did a great job!) who helped to make this competition possible.

Well done Mats, you did really well even if you did not get a 1st place. You have definitely matured a lot and are a good sportsman, so do not worry about what Edouard said in this thread about 2x2x2. Thank you for my cube! Also, please come to UK Open :D

TheBB

WCA
2004FONN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Norwegians got caught without a ticket?
The hotel was sold out so we decided to chance it. Of course they had to check then. I have to implicate Joey and Lars in this affair, too, by the way. Joey tried in vain to escape justice by paying with cubing lessons, but to no avail.

We also took the tram that day from Margaret Bridge to Octagon, and decided to put all our spare coins into tickets so we could ride safe... but when we clicked random button with Hungarian text, the machine gave us most (!) of our change back, and no tickets. So we tried again, this time with English text (the button read "dispense"). Same result. So we rode without tickets again, this time successfully.

Vodka Mellon causes Scandinavians to sing Eurovision song contest hits?
Jarle sings ESC hits with or without Vodka Mellon. :)

Any other feedback on Euro 2010? We are always looking for improvement.
Get (a) better announcer(s). I'm not sure if the guy speaking the local language is necessary, but if he is, is it too much of a problem to dig up someone who can do both? I can't speak for him, but the English announcer got annoying after a while. He needs to shut up more, and when he talks, he should not repeat himself six times over in ten minutes. He also uses phrases which just feel unprofessional ("we're gonna" instead of "we will") - but that may be nitpicking from my side.

The finals were mostly very well done, but it's stupid to build up the excitement when everyone in the audience knows who has won. I would reorder the participants for each round based on the cut-off average instead. The last solve shouldn't be as uninteresting as it was this time around.

Space out the big blind events more. They are extremely exhausting.

Other than that, I can't think of anything to complain about. :p

Last edited: