• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Edit: all events! I applied a rank system to cubing (Bronze to Grand Master) and the results were interesting

maticuber

WCA
2009MACA01
EDIT:

All events added by OtterCuber!

png: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OtterCuber/wca_stats/main/wca_ranking_system.png
code: https://github.com/OtterCuber/wca_stats/blob/main/wca_ranking_system.R

Most of us play videogames and are familiar with a rank system, when you are new to the game/bad you are bronze, most people are gold and masters are miles ahead of the rest. When applied to the wca database for 3x3 avg, interesting results and analysis came out, but doing all the analysis is not really my thing, I just made a table and we can all commentate on it.

My first reaction was that being sub 15 is way better than I anticipated, and even sub 20 puts you in the top 26% of the results all the way up in Platinum 2, some of the results didn't make sense at first, but after going through them a bit I realize that sub 15 puts you in the top 12.8% it makes sense to have itin D3. Also the difference between a Diamond and a Master speedsolver is quite clear, with sub 17s for Diamond and sub 10 for Masters.

Make your own conclusions, the table has divisions with percentages, amount of people and time to get there, keep in mind that it only takes the best Ao5 of every single WCA competitor, so it might not be the best representation.

unknown.png

If the post gets enough attention, and I stop lazy (very unlikely), I'm going to do another table for single results. Doing this kind of data science is very time consuming since I'm not a data scientist (even tho a friend of mine is and he helped me), and you have to manually adjust the table considering both percentages and results.

Last edited:

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hehe, I get to be at the Master level.
Unrelated, I like it. Reminds me of the warp-speed scale from awhile ago.

Also, it's a bit surprising that 7.23 is still top 100-- It seems like the top 100 should definitely be completely sub7 by now. On the other hand, it's absurd that than many people are that fast. When I started cubing, 7.23 would have been 3rd-4th in the world. Michał Pleskowicz's 7.13 ER is one of the first things I remember seeing on this site.

Swagrid

YouTube
Visit Channel
My global at-home average puts me at Diamond 1, but my pb ao5 puts me in Masters. Though, I feel like we'll need a year or so of comps actually running in order for this to accurately apply to the cubing community as a whole

stylo

I'm a little confused, how do I compare my time to the chart assuming it is above 1:00? ( im noob :) )

is the time listed as seconds * 100? if so I guess I am silver 4. (I am used to ranks going the other way - i.e. Silver 3 being better than Silver 1.)

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a little confused, how do I compare my time to the chart assuming it is above 1:00? ( im noob :) )

is the time listed as seconds * 100? if so I guess I am silver 4. (I am used to ranks going the other way - i.e. Silver 3 being better than Silver 1.)
It appears to be milliseconds or op just forgot/chose not to include decimal points, so yes, 1:00 or 60s would be in the 6999 (69.99, 1:09.99) S4 rank