• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Edgecutting

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think this has been thought of before, but it should be better known. Edge cutting is if the U layer can turn when the M slice is misaligned, and if the M slice can turn when the U layer is misaligned. There are two types:

Forward: Misalign the U layer, then try an M' (any direction of the U layer or M slice will still be the same type)

Reverse: Misalign the M slice, then try a U (any direction of the M slice or U layer will still be the same type)

For forward edgecutting, one side might cut better than the other depending on which finger you use for M slices

Last edited:

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would just like to point out that the direction of the U layer does actually matter for the "Forward" cutting. This is because an "edge cut" is just a forward corner cut and a reverse corner cut happening at the same time. Depending on which way you misalign the U layer, you will either have a larger
forward cut and a smaller reverse cut, or a smaller forward cut and a larger reverse cut. Therefore since we know that you can do larger cuts with forward corner cutting than with reverse, which way you misalign the U layer will change how much can be cut.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I would just like to point out that the direction of the U layer does actually matter for the "Forward" cutting. This is because an "edge cut" is just a forward corner cut and a reverse corner cut happening at the same time. Depending on which way you misalign the U layer, you will either have a larger
forward cut and a smaller reverse cut, or a smaller forward cut and a larger reverse cut. Therefore since we know that you can do larger cuts with forward corner cutting than with reverse, which way you misalign the U layer will change how much can be cut.
‘Confused reaction’ @pjk

If I start to do a U’ and then do an M’, it is the same as if I start to do a U and then do a M’, if I start to do a U and then do an M, and if I start to do a U’ and then do an M

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I start to do a U’ and then do an M’, it is the same as if I start to do a U and then do a M’, if I start to do a U and then do an M, and if I start to do a U’ and then do an M
Uh no it is not. You can't cut the same amount with a U' and an M' as you can with a U and an M'. Believe me, I tried it on multiple cubes.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do I have to submit video proof or something? Just trust me, I tried I multiple times using the same finger for M' each time. I explained what was going on in my first post.
If you misalign the U layer clockwise and do an M’, it forward cuts on the left, and reverse cuts on the right
If you misalign the U layer counterclockwise and do an M’, it forward cuts on the right, and reverse cuts on the left
The cube is symmetrical(except for imperfections and magnet placement in some cubes). Therefore, any cut can be mirrored on an L/R axis and still be the same. This won’t change the direction on the M slice, but it will inverse the U move. Because the mechanism is spherical, and the tracks are circular we can use degrees. If I misalign the U layer by 15˚ and do an M' it will forward cut 15˚ and reverse cut 15˚. If I mirror that and misalign. it by -15˚, it will still forward cut 15˚ and reverse cut 15˚, but it will be on the opposite side. There is no reason why it should be any different.
Also you would want to switch fingers for the M slice for an absolutely objective comparison, but it doesn't really matter. Also what cube are you using, because that could give me some insight into your problem

Sorry if my reasoning made no sense, I don't know that much about this type of math, so I probably used incorrect vocabulary

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, so I think the reason behind what was going on is the fact that I used the same finger, which somehow pushed the momentum away from a certain side so when I did U' M' it cut less. That means I was wrong, my whole "smaller reverse cut larger forward cut" was baloney, but I made sense in my mind. I think most people would use the same finger for both so you may want to add something saying to alternate fingers.

I just tested what @Nmile7300 said, and doing a U' M' has quite a bit more corne cutting than a U M'.
Did you do your M slice with your right hand? If so that would make sense as I did it with my left hand and the opposite happened.

Also what cube are you using, because that could give me some insight into your problem
I use a bunch of different cubes, Valk, WRm, Gts2m, and some 4x4s.

In conclusion, I stand corrected. I think it has to do with what finger you use.