• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dvorak Keyboard Layout

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use Dvorak for OH (Left hand) typing as well as two hand typing. Since I usually only type one hand for fun, or while eating or holding something, it's good enough, and I don't have to change the layout.

ravenguild08

WCA
2007HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Though currently off-topic, I'm surprised so many of us use Dvorak. I haven't encountered anyone in person that used it. Well, not that I really asked, either...
In any case, I kind of regret learning Dvorak over the summer. It's been really nice typing lengthy pieces, but has otherwise gotten in the way quite often. Other computers, other users of my computer, gaming, tasks like ctrl-C/ctrl-V, and typing Asian characters all force me to switch back to QWERTY.

AvidCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've had Dvorak installed on my computer for probably about 4 months and have been able to touch type, but only started using it more this month, because I had been able to type at around 100wpm with QWERTY before, and was typing at around 30wpm with Dvorak, so I stopped because it took forever to do stuff. However, I started using it exclusively this month and am now at ~70wpm, and I like it a lot more because it's way more comfortable than QWERTY. I can still type at around 90ish with QWERTY, but I find switching back and forth confusing (i.e. I have to start out on a certain layout, because if I try to switch while I'm in the middle of a session I get confused), so it's not a problem when I use public computers just to use QWERTY.

The problem is that probably 80%+ of all keyboards use QWERTY. I often have to use some other computer than my own (friend's, school etc.) so switching back and forth would get annoying pretty fast so I just go with the flow.

avgdi

WCA
2011VAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread has inspired me to learn Dvorak.
I considered learning Colemak because I liked how the hotkeys were the same, and caps lock became backspace. But with a more in depth look at both layouts I decided I liked Dvorak more. Plus I can remap the caps lock and hotkeys myself.
I use both Macs and PCs. Dvorak is on both, and it is very easy to switch the keyboard layout between QWERTY and Dvorak. (In case I use someone else's computer or someone uses mine.)

P.S. That took FOREVER to type. :p