• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does Data Tracking Assist in Training?

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
tumblr_oa4ei8vNSs1u96baxo1_1280.png

So ever since I switched methods, I've been tracking ~95% of my solves in a big excel file.
(Not 100% because I do solves out and about, and I don't record those)

I'm also a casual cyclist, and cyclists keep data metrics of their wattage, average speed, cadence, heartrate, and wayyy more. They use these metrics to gauge progress and even use information about their hearts and bodies to pace themselves in races.
Also, graduate school taught me the value of data, graphs, and analysis.

Does anyone else do this in cubing?
Last month, I predicted that I would hit sub-14 in 7700 solves based on linear regression of my recorded solves. It turns out, 6000 solves later, it seems like that prediction was surprisingly accurate!

I think that tracking times, standard deviations, TPS, and even the occurrences of times below a certain threshold could help us train ourselves to be better.

We can accurately identify plateaus, and switch training habits to really push the boundaries to improve ourselves.

I know that there were a few timers and things that allowed the functionality for data tracking, and I was wondering if anyone else really goes over their data while they train? (I know for a fact that @AlphaSheep has a graph in his sig)

Could this help?

Personally, I find it really exciting to see progress and extrapolate the future!
It's fun because it's just like a video game, and each solve is worth 1xp, and I need 10k exp to get to the next level. #tryhard

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I can't help it. I'm a data driven person ;)

It helps a lot with motivation when you're in a slump. Sometimes it feels like you've hit a wall, but when you see your mean of 5000 or even 10000 falling rapidly, you know it's only a matter of time before those smaller averages start falling too.

The opposite is also true. Sometimes it feels like you're getting faster when you're stagnating or even getting slower. A few months ago I decided to focus purely on TPS. I got some awesome singles, and some really good Ao5s and it certainly felt like I was getting faster. But then when I checked my progress graph, my big averages were steadily getting worse. It made me look at my solves more critically, and I realised my lookahead had been suffering. Once I started working on that, the big averages started falling again.

JohnnyReggae

WCA
2015BOSW01
I've been keeping track of my solves with almost all my solves being timed. I import those into spreadsheets to track how I progress. For me it is a great visual on how I'm doing, and when I feel that I'm stuck on a plateau I just have to look at my progress graphs to actually realise that I'm doing better than I think I am and it always keeps me motivated.

I say keep it up I believe that it all helps in the end.

CxCxC

Yes, I also track my solves :
I use the prisma puzzle timer, which also has a feature to display the session summary , then I just copy that summary to the clipboard and paste it in OneNote.
I keep track of my good solves and bad solves and I even write notes on how that solve could have been improved, this actually has helped me a lot.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have like 90% of my solves in prisma puzzle timer and I make a graph every 5000 solves to see if I'm still improving and to decide if it's time to learn more algs. I predict I'll be sub-20 before reaching infinity (senility will kick in first).

http://imgur.com/a/reivi

Oh my god, that is a lot of solves!!!!
(And a very pretty graph!)

D

Daniel Lin

k i think I might start tracking my progress in 3BLD now
not sure how. Think I'll record my 5 best solves per day, since I can't do averages. Or I'll record my accuracy