• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Does anybody want their Shengshou cubes modded?

retep

I am going to be ordering shengshou 4x4-6x6 cubes in a few days and would like them modded, but if it is going to be more than like $10 (including shipping) I think I will just do it myself (or not at all, depending on how I like the cube and what not)

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
it would be nice if you bought them and modded them, then people could buy them from you rather than us buying them, sending them to you, having them modded, and then you sending them to us.

This is generally the best approach. It's stupid to send it to someone to mod it and have to wait all that time, not having the cube and then have to pay. It would be too time consuming for a start. People are paying for comfortable service that is quick and easy. Otherwise they don't pay. Remember that anyone can mod a cube if they aren't too lazy, so you are really aiming at the lazy people. That has to be the selling point. Honestly though I don't think there is much market for it with bigger cubes. Most people serious enough to need/appreciate a decently modded SS 4x4-6x6 probably will just do it themselves. At least thats my take on it.

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll consider trusting the guy when i hear of a few people that are well known and not so well known give a good response to this possible service
Which is exactly what emolover said except in an ass****ish manner. I agree with him he just could do with some manners. Way to welcome someone to the forums like. The guy COULD be a genuinely nice guy but if you treat him like he's not welcome from the start we lose a potentially valuable member. Balls need to be chilled by some folk.

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
depends on the price and what mod(s) you do (konsta mod, florian mod, both) but im definately interested. also, would you be able to pre lube it with something like traxxis or lubix?

P.S, welcome to the forums :)

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't understand why someone would do this, there is an excellent forum post on how to mod the SS 4x4 and as long as you have access to sand paper it really isn't that difficult to accomplish. If it works for you then gratz, but I don't see why it should.

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't understand why someone would do this, there is an excellent forum post on how to mod the SS 4x4 and as long as you have access to sand paper it really isn't that difficult to accomplish. If it works for you then gratz, but I don't see why it should.

Well some people might now have time, or the tools to do it. Some might also be too scared to try a mod or just suck at it and don't want to ruin there cubes. Or if you like me and you have a lot of money to burn, then this is perfect.

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Cheese11

Time? From what I've heard most people spend at least 1 hour a day practicing/on forums. Tools? all I had was sandpaper and it worked perfectly. Too scared? take your time, ask the creator of the mod questions or don't do it. Too much money? Though this is just an opinion I'd much rather spend my money on more cubes, if I had any money. If after all that you are still unconvinced, then I really don't know what to say. The mod is good but I wouldn't pay someone else to do it for me

Edit: to answer the title of the OP, everyone wants their SS cubes modded, but not for a price.

Last edited:

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Cheese11

Time? From what I've heard most people spend at least 1 hour a day practicing/on forums. Tools? all I had was sandpaper and it worked perfectly. Too scared? take your time, ask the creator of the mod questions or don't do it. Too much money? Though this is just an opinion I'd much rather spend my money on more cubes, if I had any money. If after all that you are still unconvinced, then I really don't know what to say. The mod is good but I wouldn't pay someone else to do it for me

Edit: to answer the title of the OP, everyone wants their SS cubes modded, but not for a price.

When people spend 1 hour a day practicing, there cubing. If your like me and have no time at all to anything (I don't practice), then some people will like there cubes modded. With just sandpaper, the mod will take well over an hour, let alone the 1 that they use to practice.

And I would rather have a better cube than more; but that's just my opinion.

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Say you have one hour a day of free time to practice and the mod takes 2 hours to fully complete, but you want to spend 75% of your time cubing. You have 15 mins a day to do more and more of the mod. So after 8 days, your cube is modded. If you sent this person your cube, I would assume it would take a week to get back to you and it would cost you money, by doing the mod yourself you save money and use the same amount of time. Either way your SS cube will be unusable for a certain amount of time but by doing it yourself you save money and know your cube is safe.

cyoubx

YouTube
Visit Channel
@Cheese11

Implying your time is not valuable? Paying someone to perform a service is worth it (or not) based on your opportunity cost.

Just because people spend one hour a day practicing doesn't mean they want to spend one hour a day modding. Maybe they think their time is better spent practicing.

I will reply to your seemingly sarcastic response (which could be completely misread, and I'm sorry if this is the case) with a trite response: if you think that modding cubes involves no price, please kindly mod one for me. I'll pay for the materials. Just not the service.

OT: As other people have said, stocked mods would be nice. As in, have some modded 4x4s and maybe even 5x5s in stock and have people purchase premodded cubes.

Last edited: