• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dissolve Silicone between two stuck cubies

Hiero

WCA
2010MAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there any way to dissolve the silicone or make it weaker? I have a cubie and the side of another cubie stuck. The side is only about 3mm big so it's hard to get a screwdriver in there. I guess the kid didn't hear me say, mix your cube up for a few minutes after I had sprayed it.

miniGOINGS

Pop the cubies out, then pull them apart. You shouldn't break the cubies unless the cube is made out of cheese or something.

rubix%20cubewich

...and what if it is?

Hiero

WCA
2010MAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did that and when I ripped the cubies apart one of the corner pieces' inside edge came out stuck to an edge piece. It's like a thin piece of plastic stuck to the edge piece. This is a Rubik's Cube from the 80's. They think I destroyed it when I put silicone in it, which they asked me to do. But they want their 80's cube back the way it was.

Thomas09

YouTube
Visit Channel
I did that and when I ripped the cubies apart one of the corner pieces' inside edge came out stuck to an edge piece. It's like a thin piece of plastic stuck to the edge piece. This is a Rubik's Cube from the 80's. They think I destroyed it when I put silicone in it, which they asked me to do. But they want their 80's cube back the way it was.

They asked for it, and didn't work it in. It's their fault.

PeterNewton

This happened to my 4x4. Ths corners got stuck to their adjacent edges and when i pulled them apart, the corners broke into two pieces :fp. What a waste of money. anyway, 80s cubes never react well with silicone; I tried lubing my mother's original Arxon and it melted right in front of me.
You could try nail polish remover. Not sure if it will work.

Hiero

WCA
2010MAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I pried it off with some needlenose pliers and put it back together. It moves like crap. He just needs to spend a few bucks and get a new one. I internally groan whenever students bring their parents rubik's cube from the 80's with the stickers hanging halfway off and they want to cube with it.

daniel0731ex

your title doesn't make any sense at all. silicome doesn't glue cubies. there is nothing to dissolve.

daniel0731ex

your title doesn't make any sense at all. silicome doesn't glue cubies. there is nothing to dissolve.

Think again. It's how MMAP came up with one of his Mods for the V6.
I had this problem once, on my ES 4x4. I just pulled it apart.

wrong. i never said that silicone lube DOESN'T glue plastics, i meant that it's not silicone that glued them together.