• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Cubing noob?

sly_ari

Hi everyone, I'm Ari and I'm new to this forum and I've been cubing for less than a year. I use the Roux method and I hope to see more people here contributing to the Rouxvolution!
I'm an American high school student who was taught the beginner's method by one of my teachers in October 2018. I later switched to Roux in February. My main cube right now is a Valk 3, alternating with a Little Magic when I get tired of relubing my Valk lol (Martian dries up so quick on it).

My current average for 3x3 is sub 25. My PB is 18.23
I'd love to have an average of sub 20 by the end of the year.

Last edited:

ZadenDS

Hey! I'm a new cuber as of beginning of the month, I use Roux as well, I average about 1:19, but I can't seem to get faster, I've memorized CMLL but my block building takes about 50 second's of my solve, any tips?
Edit: My main right now is the QuYi ThunderClap

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Take your time to solve blocks. Make sure you don't take more than 10-15 moves for the first block and 15-20 moves for the second block. You can work on lowering that later. Try to know where your second pair of your first block ends up when you solve the first pair. Then keep track of the DR piece while you solve the second pair of the first block, and so on. It's important to pause as little as possible. Pausing takes up much more time than you think.

Use the M slices when necessary, but use R and Rw moves wherever possible.

ZadenDS

Thanks for the fast reply, is there any tips or videos that help with minimizing my moves during the blocks?

CubingWithJay

WCA
2015MCCA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everyone, I'm Ari and I'm new to this forum and I've been cubing for less than a year. I use the Roux method and I hope to see more people here contributing to the Rouxvolution!
I'm an American high school student who was taught the beginner's method by one of my teachers in October 2018. I later switched to Roux in February. My main cube right now is a Valk 3, alternating with a Little Magic when I get tired of relubing my Valk lol (Martian dries up so quick on it).

Welcome to the forums

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the fast reply, is there any tips or videos that help with minimizing my moves during the blocks?
It works best if you figure stuff out yourself, your brain will remember things better that way. You can google Kian Mansour on YouTube. His Roux videos are the best. He has 4 beginner videos and then a more advanced one.

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel

My current average for 3x3 is sub 25. My PB is 18.23
I'd love to have an average of sub 20 by the end of the year.
Hey! Welcome to the forums! I'm a Roux user as well! I currently average sub 15 and my PB is 9.17. If you would like you could record an ao5 and send it to me via email and I can help critique some of the solves :)

sly_ari

Kian mansour has some good example solve videos and Critical Cubing has good block building practice videos as well

sly_ari

Hey! Welcome to the forums! I'm a Roux user as well! I currently average sub 15 and my PB is 9.17. If you would like you could record an ao5 and send it to me via email and I can help critique some of the solves :)
Thanks!

sly_ari

Hey! I'm a new cuber as of beginning of the month, I use Roux as well, I average about 1:19, but I can't seem to get faster, I've memorized CMLL but my block building takes about 50 second's of my solve, any tips?
Edit: My main right now is the QuYi ThunderClap
My first main was a thunderclap as well :)
Look ahead is SO important in Roux. Some of my practice sessions I only focus on slow turning to force myself to look ahead in block building and for all of my steps to be fluid. I still struggle with pausing every now and then because I turn too fast and loose track of my pieces.
When I started with this method I did about a week of just focusing on slow fluid block building, I didn't work on solving the cube until I felt comfortable with my fluidity. It's gotten harder as I've gotten faster though, so I'm trying to work on it more.