• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubicle Mystery Puzzles

Are you happy with what you got?

• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool! I understand where you're coming from and I think it's a reasonable stance. However, this response makes it excessively clear that you don't fully understand the position I'm in, which is not your fault. I've obviously never explained it, so there's no reason why you would know. But that gives me something to think about. Thanks!
Please elaborate if there's information that would help me refine or change my position. I'm open to changing my mind!

My position boils down this: the appearance, or potential for impropriety, should be eliminated.

To be clear, I don't think you've done anything wrong - heck, I "liked" your "100 likes for a cube" video - and you seem like a stand-up guy. And I know Phil is a stand-up guy. But that's not really the point.

Ghost Cuber

WCA
2015WINT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of banning cyoubx from buying the mystery entirely, accusations of mystery puzzle bias could be reasonably taken care of by purchasing under a pseudonym and possibly with a PO box. Or purchasing under a family member's or friend's name.
I'm pretty sure Chris Olson did that with the original Premium cubes and it worked out well

Nmile7300

WCA
2019MILE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of banning cyoubx from buying the mystery entirely, accusations of mystery puzzle bias could be reasonably taken care of by purchasing under a pseudonym and possibly with a PO box. Or purchasing under a family member's or friend's name.
Yeah this was what I was thinking for those who don't trust cubicle sponsorees buying mystery puzzles. As someone who is a cubicle ambassador, I would probably create a "fake" account if I ordered a mystery puzzle.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So long as both the name on the order and the name of the recipient are not the sponsored person then this would be fine as it's essentially exactly what I was suggesting.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I finally found an hour or so to download/edit/upload my mystery puzzles. Results below. All things considered I'd call this "OK". On paper I did save some money (23%) but I guarantee you I would not have purchased a 6x6 WeiShi GTS for $32 in todays market. Not terribly disappointed but I also feel like I could have used my $78 to put towards better more enjoyable puzzles.

In the end I'll probably give away my kilominx to a newb and turn my 6x6 into some sort of sticker mod (which will be awesome). the WR M is cool and Jelly cube is a decent novelty but I'm sure maybe would be disappointed with it...my wife thinks it's cool), I'm afraid to give away the 2x2 to a newbie because there's nothing worse than bad hardware,...especially in todays market.

Final thoughts? Fun, not great, just ok. 1 good win, the others feel like maybe the cubicle.com got more out of this than I did.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I finally found an hour or so to download/edit/upload my mystery puzzles. Results below. All things considered I'd call this "OK". On paper I did save some money (23%) but I guarantee you I would not have purchased a 6x6 WeiShi GTS for $32 in todays market. Not terribly disappointed but I also feel like I could have used my $78 to put towards better more enjoyable puzzles.

In the end I'll probably give away my kilominx to a newb and turn my 6x6 into some sort of sticker mod (which will be awesome). the WR M is cool and Jelly cube is a decent novelty but I'm sure maybe would be disappointed with it...my wife thinks it's cool), I'm afraid to give away the 2x2 to a newbie because there's nothing worse than bad hardware,...especially in todays market.

Final thoughts? Fun, not great, just ok. 1 good win, the others feel like maybe the cubicle.com got more out of this than I did.

yeah your puzzles are ok but not great. btw the qidi is a pretty good beginner 2x2. it looks like it came too tight.

Don't know whether this counts because it's not Cubicle but from KewbzUk I got a QiYi master pyraminx worth £14 from a £10 mystery box and a Guanlong square-1 worth £7 from a £5 one. I am really happy with the master pyraminx but kinda disappointed with the square-1 as it absolutely sucks. I'll probably give it to a friend or donate it to my schools cubing club.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't know whether this counts because it's not Cubicle but from KewbzUk I got a QiYi master pyraminx worth £14 from a £10 mystery box and a Guanlong square-1 worth £7 from a £5 one. I am really happy with the master pyraminx but kinda disappointed with the square-1 as it absolutely sucks. I'll probably give it to a friend or donate it to my schools cubing club.
That's terrible. That Guanlong Square-1 is in no way a £7 cube. It was $6 US on The Cubicle years ago. That's more like a £1 cube.

That's terrible. That Guanlong Square-1 is in no way a £7 cube. It was $6 US on The Cubicle years ago. That's more like a £1 cube.
Screenshot_20210401-190015_Chrome.jpg
Rip. My friend is interested in squan so I'll probably give it to them. I'm really happy with the master pyraminx though and I'm trying to solve it without a tutorial! (No progress yet)

ender9994

WCA
2008GROM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cubehead, being the smart cookie he is, ordered under a pseudonym

Definitely the correct way to go about it. Most sponsored Youtube Cubers don't even properly specify that their videos are sponsored by selecting that option when uploading. I suspect that at some point one of them will sadly be made an example of for breaking YouTube's rules/guidelines and their channel will get deleted.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Definitely the correct way to go about it. Most sponsored Youtube Cubers don't even properly specify that their videos are sponsored by selecting that option when uploading. I suspect that at some point one of them will sadly be made an example of for breaking YouTube's rules/guidelines and their channel will get deleted.
I've actually kinda been waiting for that to happen.