• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cube Apps for Smart Phones

ChrisBird

Premium Member
WCA
2009BIRD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello Everybody,

I got the developers version of the Android Phone (ADP2) for Christmas, and have been seriously interested in programming some applications for it to release on the Android Market. After searching around for a little while for cube apps, I only found about 5 for the G2, of which one is a cube timer/scramble generator, and 4 are small cube apps (like gelatin brain/gabbasoft).

So my question to you guys is, what kind of apps could you imagine useful on a phone?

I was thinking maybe an app that did what CubingUSA's site does, and sends you a text when a competition is within X miles of you, or within you selected radius. Or an app that sends text messages to you when a WR is broken. Of course I do not know the limits of such an app yet, but I think it would be nice to get some input on what I could make before starting on one (that people may find completely useless).

Also, if we can think up some good apps, maybe I could find someone who can program apps for the Blackberry and iPhone/iPod and make similar apps available on each system.

Anyway, I am interested to see what ideas you come up with, and I am very interested in learning how to program apps for this.

Thanks, Chris

Edit1: I have not searched the iPod or Blackberry apps server so I do not know if more useful apps have already been made for those systems. I only know that there is a lack of serious cube apps for the Android.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking maybe an app that did what CubingUSA's site does, and sends you a text when a competition is within X miles of you, or within you selected radius. Or an app that sends text messages to you when a WR is broken.
A text message is just an email, so CubingUSA could really do that; no need for an app...

That doesn't mean there is nothing else to make; there is plenty to do out there.

ChrisBird

Premium Member
WCA
2009BIRD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking maybe an app that did what CubingUSA's site does, and sends you a text when a competition is within X miles of you, or within you selected radius. Or an app that sends text messages to you when a WR is broken.
A text message is just an email, so CubingUSA could really do that; no need for an app...

That doesn't mean there is nothing else to make; there is plenty to do out there.

It was just a suggestion, I don't know all the possibilities =p

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
I have been planning to make a timer/scrambler for windows mobile. I know there is already a scramble generator for wm that runs on java, but I thought it would be nice to have a timer built in... and not have to use java.

I *cough* acquired visual studio 2008, but haven't been able to get it to recognize the latest windows mobile sdk. I am going to have to get this ironed out before I can really do anything with it.

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ideas -

-Speedsolving.com mobile app.
-An app with algs and applets that show them. (they have the app for iPhone but all the algs are bad. App is called cfop for those who care)
-basic cube simulator that can go up to 7x7 and down to 2x2.
- a cube solver with optimal solution.

ChrisBird

Premium Member
WCA
2009BIRD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ideas -

-An app with algs and applets that show them. (they have the app for iPhone but all the algs are bad. App is called cfop for those who care)

These ones exist.

MichaelP.

WCA
2009PERK02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ideas -

These ones exist.

The 2x2 - 7x7 app has bad controls. If you make a cube simulator, the best controls on an cube app hat I've seen have been on the iPhone app cubix. And sorry I didn't know their already was a solver.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

dbax0999

WCA
2009ADAM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would love a mobile app for speedsolving.com

While we're on the subject of apps for ipods. Does anyone know who made the "cube timer" app for iPhone? Because I can't seem to find it in the App store anymore. BTW it is not the "iCube timer" app, the one I'm looking for has a black background and a picture of a wireframe cube in the back.

spdqbr

WCA
2005HAYE01
You could make a cube solver that leverages the camera, much in the way that Cube Explorer can...
Or you could just concede there's a good, free iPhone app that does that.

That doesn't help him as he doesn't have an iPhone.
He did mention iPhones, though. And since it's been done, maybe you could contact the creator of CubeCheater.

Now that I have the knowledge I'm perfectly willing to concede that :D

Also someone has recently released the first cube app for the Palm Pre, Cubix. I haven't tried it yet though.

tarpshack

WCA
2010ENGL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is now a cube timer/scramble generator in the Android marketplace.

SpeedCube Timer
http://droid-appz.com/

What is it?
SpeedCube Timer is a timer and record keeper application for people who solve Rubik's Cubes and other twisty puzzles.

What can it do?
  • Accurately and easily time your solves including an optional inspection timer
  • Supports 2x2x2 -> 7x7x7 size cubes as well as the MegaMinx, Square-1, and Super Sqaure-1
  • Track your solve times with separate records for each puzzle type
  • Generate random scrambles for all cube sizes as well as the MegaMinx (Square-1 and Super Sqaure-1 coming soon...)
  • Optional sound and haptic feedback

InfernoTowel

Ideas:
Algorithm database app (like Badmephisto's)
Solutions for various puzzles

I wish I had more, but I don't. I'll post ideas I get.

ChrisBird

Premium Member
WCA
2009BIRD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I sent him an email last night, please let me know what you think of these suggestions.

E-Mail sent last night said:
Hello,
So I downloaded the speedcube timer app from the android market today and was using it a bit, and came up with a few suggestions/tips (If you are interested in hearing them).

Things to Remove:
-The number of permutations per puzzle, while this is an interesting number to people who are into the the specs of each cube, the average solver wouldn't be interested (enough for it to be on the main screen) and would rather it be replaced.

Things to Edit:
- On the actual timing screen, I think instead of the block of text explaining how to start and stop the timer, it could be replaced with the current average, the number of solves on that specific cube, and best/worst times.
- Instead of the Permutations maybe you could either have the World Record Average (instead of just single solve). Although to some people, especially slow solvers posting the world record average and single may just be depressing and de-motivating =p
- The scramble length for each puzzle is a little off from what is officially recognized as a 'scrambled state' in the WCA regulations. Instead of going through and counting each scramble length in your app (which I only did on 3x3 and noticed it was 5 moves short), I thought it would be best to just list the correct scramble length for each puzzle here.
2x2: See note.
3x3: 25
4x4: 40
5x5: 60
6x6: 80
7x7: 100
Note: There is two ways to go about scrambles for the 2x2, either use optimal scrambles, which is the fewest number of moves to achieve a scrambled state, which, while convenient, is a hassle to program, so maybe you could just go with the official normal length is 15.
- Also something to edit is the puzzle variety. 2-7 is just fine, but I think the SSq-1 should be replaced with something else. Very few people have that puzzle, let alone solve it, and even fewer time themselves on it, so it could be replaced with another puzzle.

Things to Add:
- Sq-1 Scrambles
- More puzzles: Magic, Master Magic, Pyraminx, Clock.

Hopefully that helps, aside from those things, the whole app looks great. Professionally done, neat, organized, and easy to use.

Thanks,

~Chris