• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Crowd

CubeAddict

Ever have 20 ppl staring at you cubing and after you solve it everyone goes crazy or is shocked... heh Happened to me once in class, even the teacher wanted to c my cube, even though my times are really baddd. Has this ever occured to you?

CubeAddict

hmm, where i live is i belive the lowest rank in education wise( FL) . No wonder so many ppl get amazed lol.

kunu822

Yeah, at school. People crowd around people and it gets really annoying but it helps me get faster. They all are like "whoa omgz howd you do that" when I finish. Rubik's Cubes are a cult in our school recently. We even have a club. (I'm not in it, thankfully! They require you to meet there everyday and you have to solve the cube 100 times before you leave for home.)

Fireman32

YouTube
Visit Channel
I brought my cube into work and was solving it in my office area that i share with 6 people. Next thing I knew there was the rest of the office comming in for the rest of the day to watch me solve it. Then I brough in the 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 and solved it although quite slow but they were all amazed. Most everyone said that they never seen anyone solve cube.

icke

WCA
2008THUR01
i never had a big crowed. there are always people around me who watch and ask me if i just did this but never more then two or three people. but havent cubed in a class or something like that.

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It happened to me last weekend at a LAN party (I've been there for filming). I took my cube with me to have something to do at the breaks. So I cubed for myself a while and didn't notice that some people paused and watched me solving. After a while I heard some voices: "Can he really solve it?", "I think the cube was solved a few seconds ago". Then i looked up to the voices and i saw about 5 people starring at me and my cube. I had to do the cube a few times for them. After they were gone i thought i would have been let alone. But i was totally wrong. The next hour i had to do the cube for almost all gamer at the LAN party :). And one of them said: "I've seen someone solving it blindfolded on youtube.". I watched at him, hesistated for a second and said: "I also can do it blindfolded". He and the other people standing next to him were shocked :). They didn't belive me, so they prompted me to do it. While memorizing the cube, almost every person paused in front of me to watch me solving it blindfolded. After memorizing it, i turned around and started solving the cube behind my back. After turning around again i first watched at my cube, which was completely solved, and then at the crowd. They didn't say a word. They just starred at me and couldn't belive what they saw :). It was such a cool feeling to amaze those people.
A few hours later i had to do it again blindfolded, but this time i was a 3-cycle off.
I also teached someone how to solve the cube. He was very talented and figured out many things on his own. I hope we'll see him at this forum in a few months :).

btw.: it was my first successful bld solve in public. I am so happy :)

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I kind of feel embarrassed when people start staring at me. Especially when I'm in a restraunt and the waiter just stands there. It isn't that I don't like people to watch me- it just feels like I'm being too much of a showoff. But if people are like indirectly looking at me then I'm fine and showoff as much as I want, lol. Yeah, I'm weird.

Rama

WCA
2006TEMM01
Originally posted by Fireman32@Jun 7 2007, 01:53 AM
nice rama. so how many numbers did you get?
It was filmed at the airport in Valencia and they where from Italy, so if I had their numbers I had no use with it and I think I was too young for them sad enough :p

Ah well at least I have my Rubik's Cube to make me happy :rolleyes:

Rama

WCA
2006TEMM01
Originally posted by dChan@Jun 7 2007, 07:16 PM
I kind of feel embarrassed when people start staring at me. Especially when I'm in a restraunt and the waiter just stands there. It isn't that I don't like people to watch me- it just feels like I'm being too much of a showoff. But if people are like indirectly looking at me then I'm fine and showoff as much as I want, lol. Yeah, I'm weird.
No, if they stop and watch give them your cube to scramble it ;)
I allways bring a bad/stiff cube with me that ''may'' drop if I am going out somewhere.

I allways feel great after I see those happy faces :lol:

tenderchkn

I must be good at being invisible. I can solve in public and no one will say a word at me. But then again, it's not a "performance" and I don't display for anyone unless I know them.

dChan

WCA
2007CHAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by Rama@Jun 8 2007, 03:21 PM
No, if they stop and watch give them your cube to scramble it ;)
I allways bring a bad/stiff cube with me that ''may'' drop if I am going out somewhere.

I allways feel great after I see those happy faces :lol:
Tis' a good idea. It gives the performance an interactive depth to it. The other person feels excited more when they had a hand in the performance(i.e. scrambling the cube).

One funny thing happened to me at a Denny's restraunt. I had my cube sitting on the table and the waiter saw it and said that he saw a movie about it(he was talking about the Pursuit of Hapiness with Will Smith, which wasn't about the cube but his english was just a little shaky). My mom said "Yeah, Will Smith does it in around 2 minutes. He can do it in probably what?... under 30 seconds." Of course at that point I felt compelled to solve the cube so as to not look like my mum was BS'ing the guy. As I solved it the waiter was suddenly silent and then when I finished it he just sort of looked at me like what I did was impossible. He didn't say a word except for "Wow..." Then he asked me how I did it and I'm a bad explainer so I just said I researched on the Internet, etc. and practiced a whole bunch. Then my mum said I 've been doing it for three months and the guy was even more speechless. I don't think he took our order down till a minute later. He said he could do numbers all day and memorize thirteen orders without writing anything down but he could never do the Rubik's cube. I felt really happy after that.

apoplectic

YouTube
Visit Channel
Originally posted by CubeAddict@Apr 30 2007, 02:21 AM
hmm, where i live is i belive the lowest rank in education wise( FL) . No wonder so many ppl get amazed lol.
i know.i live in orlando in the lowest ranked high school.the average fcat score was 2.9.

HelloiamChow

Hey, I live in orlando too. Where in orlando do you live?

My biggest crowd, was in front of SAK's comedy club during the intermission. Here is my friend's account of what happened:

a lanky asian boy stumbled onto the stage, without looking into the crowd to command their unrivaled attention. someone handed him a cube and mythical things started to happen

the requisite bouncer meant to keep people off the stage started to back up slowly as his jaw dropped rapidly, the light began to focus on the boy and the cube in his hands, moving so fast it seemed to be morphing.

a dull chant began to enamenate from the crowd and the crowd was on its feet, arms above their head, mouths screaming in sheer ectasy

the boy finsihes the cube with a final snap and holds it up into the light, at which point the dull roar gives way to a calvalcade of amazement.

Yeah, it felt good. Guy who sat behind me gave me $10.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Software Area 5
A Off-Topic Discussion 6