• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cincinnati Summer Open 2008

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
BUMMER!!!!!!!!!
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
my mom said i cant go... =[

Jim- do you think you could talk to some people to see if there can be a comp in Chicago sometime??

Aww, its too bad you can't come. Is it just that your mom is not willing to drive you? Do you know any other cubers in Chicago? You might be able to bum a ride.

I'm not particularly up for initiating organization of something in Chicago, as I don't know enough people who live there and would help work the competition, nor where a good place would be, etc. I'd be more than willing to help, though. Chances are the next one I organize will be in Columbus (at OSU), and will be within 9 months from now ;)

@Charles, chances are more than good we won't have enough time for 5x5. If its anything like the spring competition, we will be slightly behind again as it is, and if that happens we will be kicked out of the library with no awards at all. So as of now, NO 5X5.

Edit: Hey, Toby Mao is in Chicago... Unfortunately, I don't think he's into cubing much anymore, though...

Last edited:

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's fine. My 5x5 records are actually pretty good for me right now. Have you decided the 4x4 qualifying time yet? I was thinking something a little slower than 2 minutes as there are fewer competitors this time. But time seems to be a major issue at this competition so...

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
It will really depend on the number of competitors. Time isn't that big of an issue, we just have less of it this competition. I don't know the cutoff times... and probably won't til pre-reg closes. The list is sort of scant at the moment, but I do know there will certainly be more people not on this forum coming. Its only been up a couple days, after all. If the Hugheys make it, (I hope they do!), then there should be at least a few more in addition. And a few more here and there, probably... ;) A number of cubers from Cincinnati didn't come to the spring one, so hopefully they make this one... although I doubt they would do 4x4.

Last edited:
I might actually go to this one... I'm in the Detroit area but near a major freeway so that it's only 3hr 28min drive for me. It sucks that it doesn't have 5x5, as that is my strongest event. With typical turn out I'd probably take first if there was one.

CAT13

WCA
2008MCCO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
my brother is 99% coming. I just (finally!) taught him how to solve a 3x3 using the beginners method. so he's really slow, but I'm hoping that he will practice quite a bit before coming. he messes up a lot, too.

Dave Campbell

WCA
2005CAMP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dave, I heard you guys are trying to organize one in the Niagara area, too? Its possible we will have a few people from Ohio up there if you manage to get it worked out.

Word gets around. We will announce it later this week. But you are correct, it will be in the Niagara area. It would be great if some of the US guys (and girls!) could make it. And there is one guy from the Cincinnati competition i would love to see come up. His name was Jim something, i saw him on TV afterwards talking about the last competition. If you know Jim, tell him to clear his schedule for the weekend following the August competition in Ohio.

Under normal circumstances i would say you could stay at my house, but i don't live in Niagara either.

slncuber21

WCA
2008NELS02
YouTube
Visit Channel
That sucks. On the bright side, you now have about 9 months to practice and impress us next year.

haha, yeah- i'll be the next fastest female cuber! :D

BUMMER!!!!!!!!!
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
my mom said i cant go... =[

Jim- do you think you could talk to some people to see if there can be a comp in Chicago sometime??

Aww, its too bad you can't come. Is it just that your mom is not willing to drive you? Do you know any other cubers in Chicago? You might be able to bum a ride.

I'm not particularly up for initiating organization of something in Chicago, as I don't know enough people who live there and would help work the competition, nor where a good place would be, etc. I'd be more than willing to help, though. Chances are the next one I organize will be in Columbus (at OSU), and will be within 9 months from now ;)

@Charles, chances are more than good we won't have enough time for 5x5. If its anything like the spring competition, we will be slightly behind again as it is, and if that happens we will be kicked out of the library with no awards at all. So as of now, NO 5X5.

Edit: Hey, Toby Mao is in Chicago... Unfortunately, I don't think he's into cubing much anymore, though...

well, my dad is working (hes a fireman) so he works a night shift and he works a firework show the day before, so he cant drive me.
i have triplet siblings- they are 5 and so we dont have a babysitter for them, and one of my brothers' is Autistic so my mom doesnt want to leave him with somebody for two days.

but yeah, i really wish there was going to be one in Chicago, or closer to it. i tried emailing Toby about it awhile ago- but he said that he wasnt going to organize one or something like that... =[

ExoCorsair

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Not even combined final, best of 1, sub-2? :p

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
We're planning on being there. Rebecca is hoping to learn 2-at-a-time edgematching for 4x4x4 by then; it's pretty soon, but maybe she can get it by then.

slncuber21, would Indianapolis be close enough for you to attend, or is it still too far away?

I'm just now really learning how to solve a 4x4 without having to look at algorithms, so she should have someone to compete with.

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01

Not even combined final, best of 1, sub-2? :p

Haha I did consider it. That would be unfair to many competitors though, as it would really only allow a small minority of people (you) to actually take an average. I would say best of 1 for everyone, but this is not a preffered format for the final round of an event.

I am, however, considering adding in M/Magic and/or Square-1 due to requests. Opinions?