• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Can I make own app for GAN 356i?

Hi there,
can I make own app for the GAN 356i? (I am quite good android developer, so this will not be the problem) Is there some documentation of the protocol, that the cube uses? Is it legal to make this app public? If there isn't any way how to do it, are some other smart cubes more open?

2018AMSB02

Premium Member
WCA
2018AMSB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi there,
can I make own app for the GAN 356i? (I am quite good android developer, so this will not be the problem) Is there some documentation of the protocol, that the cube uses? Is it legal to make this app public? If there isn't any way how to do it, are some other smart cubes more open?

Ooh. I am pretty sure that it is legal to make this app, and make it public. If it was available on iPhone I would be very excited as the Gan app is really bad.

Don’t just listen to this, because I am not an expert, but cstimer and many other timers have Bluetooth features to connect to smart cubes like the Gan i, so I think it is just fine. As far as I know, they can’t/haven’t copyrighted an app that connects to their product.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ooh. I am pretty sure that it is legal to make this app, and make it public. If it was available on iPhone I would be very excited as the Gan app is really bad.

Don’t just listen to this, because I am not an expert, but cstimer and many other timers have Bluetooth features to connect to smart cubes like the Gan i, so I think it is just fine. As far as I know, they can’t/haven’t copyrighted an app that connects to their product.
I think cstimer supports only giiker...

but cstimer and many other timers have Bluetooth features to connect to smart cubes like the Gan i, so I think it is just fine
But cstimer doesn't support reconstruction. I have time so I am also thinking about adding features as correcting mistakes in solve (as inefficient cross) and this really can't be done by cstimer ;).

Last edited:

2018AMSB02

Premium Member
WCA
2018AMSB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
But cstimer doesn't support reconstruction. I have time so I am also thinking about adding features as correcting mistakes in solve (as inefficient cross) etc and this really can't be done by cstimer ;).

Yeah, I know cstimer has limited features, which is why I am so excited for yours if it were to happen, I was just using that as an example as why I think it is legal