• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner 4x4

N

nitrocan

I have started solving the 4x4, and i use the 2 at a time chain method to pair edges. I use a rubik's 4x4, and it sucks. So i was wondering, with this cube, I average 3-4 minutes. 40-50 seconds for centers, 1-1,5 min for edges, then 1-1,5 min for the 3x3 and parity cases. But normally, I average sub 30 with 3x3 cube. Should I buy an eastsheen, and what would my times be? I'd appreciate any advise and tips.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lots of the best 4x4x4 people use Rubik's - they just break them in. I'm no good at 4x4x4, but I love my Eastsheen. Up until I got my V-cubes, my best 4x4x4 Eastsheen was my favorite cube of any kind. Be gentle with it if you get one, though - if you try to cut corners, you will make it loose so that eventually it's not any good.

Mostly I refuse to do speedsolves on my really good Eastsheen 4x4x4 - I save it now for BLD only. But that's because 4x4x4 BLD is my favorite event.

mrCage

Hi :)

I'm quite sure that if you ask anough people about half would prefer eastsheen and half prefer rubiks. Eastheen turns nicely out of the box. After a while they become very loose - and locking occurs often. Also they don't cut corners very well. I have heard of people saying otherwise however. I guess they have some secret modification to achieve this ??
Rubiks takes a while to break in, but can be really really nice and cut corners beautifully. However with prolonged usage they become so loose that popping occurs easily. I have heard people say that the modified (2nd generation) rubiks are nicer than the old one. I cannot confirm this as my 2nd gen version was not so good. Edge popping is more rare with it as they did some core modification to prevent it ;-)

My gut feeling is that V-cube 4 will be very awesome. But so far i have not heard of any immediate plans to produce it. And there may also be copyright reasons for not realeasing it.

Now that there is no "ban" policy on puzzle brands, we can use any cube we want in competitions...

- Per

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
i use the 2 at a time chain method to pair edges.
Whether you are using a Rubik's brand cube or an Eastsheen, the following link should help you to drastically reduce your times for doing edges: http://www.bigcubes.com/4x4x4/edges.html

If you scroll down, there is information and a video concerning how to do 6 edges at a time.

Yeah, but some of the very fastest people use 2 at a time instead of 6 at a time, even though they know how to do 6 at a time, because for them, 2 at a time is faster than 6 at a time.

So saying you'll drastically reduce your time for doing edges with this method seems dubious to me.

yeti09

I apologize if I was not clear, as I was merely speaking from my personal experience with both methods of doing edges. Perhaps saying that 6 at a time can "drastically reduce" times was a bit excessive as a general statement, as I merely intended to articulate my own experience with the method.:D

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Whether you are using a Rubik's brand cube or an Eastsheen, the following link should help you to drastically reduce your times for doing edges: http://www.bigcubes.com/4x4x4/edges.html

If you scroll down, there is information and a video concerning how to do 6 edges at a time.

Yeah, but some of the very fastest people use 2 at a time instead of 6 at a time, even though they know how to do 6 at a time, because for them, 2 at a time is faster than 6 at a time.

So saying you'll drastically reduce your time for doing edges with this method seems dubious to me.

agreed. its really a matter of personal opinion. i tried learning the bigcubes method and found it to be too tedious. look ahead is way easier on double edge pairing. plus, i just found a way to prevent edge pairing parity on all cubes where double edge pairing is used. i guess it could be applied to 6 edge pairing if you do 6+2+2+2. i will make a guide for it soon.

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's really personal preference whether you use 6 at a time rather than 2 at a time. You should try both and see which give you the best times. For me, I use 2 at a time on the M slice. Some people use 2 at a time but use the E slice. Again, that is personal preference.

As for Rubik's or Eastsheen, if you are using the new, retooled, rubik's 4x4, I suggest you get and Eastsheen. If you have an old Rubik's 4x4, it takes a lot of working in to get it good, but they can be very good once worked in. I use Eastsheen. I like the feel of them a lot. It takes a little while to be able to cut corners on them but once they can, they're great.

Just experiment, you will find what fits you best soon enough.