• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Bandaged Cube Discussion

chinesed00d

Unlike the Rubik's Cube, this puzzle has a fixed orientation, i.e. it matters which way up you hold it. First find the edge piece that is glued to two face centres, and hold the puzzle so it is in the DB position. Now find out the colours of the unglued corner, wherever it is on the puzzle. If the colours match those of the F, U and R face centres then you are holding the puzzle correctly for the solutions below to work. If they match the F, U and L face centres then turn the puzzle over so that the F and U faces swap places. If neither of the two cases above holds, then you have a puzzle that is glued differently, and the solutions below will not help you much.

How am I supposed to know how the colours match if I have no stickers? Or am I just dumb...

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
That's just to determine the proper orientation. Since you haven't stickered it yet, you won't be worrying about orientation (because there is none), you just want to get the pieces back in the right places.

chinesed00d

That's just to determine the proper orientation. Since you haven't stickered it yet, you won't be worrying about orientation (because there is none), you just want to get the pieces back in the right places.

Thanks shelly, but if i don't determine proper orientation, then the algorithms on that page don't work becuase the side doesn't/wont turn.

Innocence

Sorry if this is considered bumping, but what is this "L" edge that the tutorial mentions?

Lol, I don't think bumping is posting after 2 hours. More like a few months (what I consider lol.)

Thanks for all your help.. I magically solved it because your post was so useful. Seriously. If you don't really have much to say, don't say it.

You kinda didn't really have much to say eith....never mind.

If there are no stickers on the cube, then the colours don't matter, as there are none. Get it so it looks like an unscrambled bandaged cube without stickers, orient it so the algs work purely by trial and error, and then sticker it. I don't really get your problem.

chinesed00d

Sorry if this is considered bumping, but what is this "L" edge that the tutorial mentions?

Lol, I don't think bumping is posting after 2 hours. More like a few months (what I consider lol.)

Thanks for all your help.. I magically solved it because your post was so useful. Seriously. If you don't really have much to say, don't say it.

Get it so it looks like an unscrambled bandaged cube without stickers

Do you have a bandaged cube? I've spent an hour turning it and trying to get it into the position but it is hard.

Innocence

Do you have a bandaged cube? I've spent an hour turning it and trying to get it into the position but it is hard.

Use the solving method somebody mentioned earlier on, but just pretend the colours are there.

chinesed00d

Use the solving method somebody mentioned earlier on, but just pretend the colours are there.
Ok... i'll just try every position the corner can be in until it works...
1 last question: For the step that says "swap F and U face" it says that the position of the L corner in DB should change, but if I am correct, doesn't the L corner not move??
I saw in another video that you are supposed to rotate using the free corner as a pivot so F -> U -> R -> F..

Thanks for your help, guys!!

mr. giggums

WCA
2011BERN02
Ok, i dont use any of Jaap's algorithms. But sometimes i get "strange" case after f2l is already done. I solve it in my own, very unsatisfactory way. I wonder how do YOU solve this case?
Picture

I think this will work but I'm not sure. Hold it so that the one twisted corner without an edge is in the back right then do.
Lw' U' L U' L' U2 Lw

bcube

I think this will work but I'm not sure. Hold it so that the one twisted corner without an edge is in the back right then do.
Lw' U' L U' L' U2 Lw

In case w denotes moving of two layers, that solution doesn´t work. It works until Lw' U', then its impossible to do L.

JonFawkes

Special Cube Help

This isn't really a speed solving question, but I couldn't really think of any other place to ask this.

I got this new puzzle recently, and it is essentially a 3x3x3 with one corner and the adjacent pieces bandaged (like the beginning of the Petrus Method, but the 2x2x2 block is one piece). I've solved most of it except the last layer. I can get the cross but I can't figure out OLL/PLL by only turning 3 faces (front/back, left/right, up/down). Anyone have any idea how to solve deal with this?

Thanks in advance

JonFawkes

That's basically what I've been doing but most of them involve both R and L most of the time. I'll keep looking.

My webcam isn't very good, so here's a picture of the puzzle as it was shown on the ebay store I bought it from
crystalvcubepfw.jpg

I'll be sure to post again if I make any progress, thanks for the quick reply so far

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If it helps, you can solve the last layer with these algs:
- edge orientation with F R U R' U' F' and inverse
- corner orientation with R U R' U R U2 R' and inverse
- corner permutation with R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R'
- edge permutation with R2 U' R' U' R U R U R U' R and inverse

Also, this is equivalent to scrambling and solving a 3x3x3 with the F, R, and U faces only (qqtimer can generate scrambles like this), or solving one half of a Fused Cube, so the same ideas work on all of these.

JonFawkes

Looks like you can just solve it like a regular 2x2x2 colors on the inside instead of out
Yeah that's just a 2x2x2 that's clear
Not quite, it's a 3x3x3 inside of a transparent 2x2x2, which is why this is more appropriately a bandaged cube

If it helps, you can solve the last layer with these algs:
- edge orientation with F R U R' U' F' and inverse
- corner orientation with R U R' U R U2 R' and inverse
- corner permutation with R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R'
- edge permutation with R2 U' R' U' R U R U R U' R and inverse

Also, this is equivalent to scrambling and solving a 3x3x3 with the F, R, and U faces only (qqtimer can generate scrambles like this), or solving one half of a Fused Cube, so the same ideas work on all of these.
Just tried this, works pretty nicely. I was looking at PLL algorithms just before I saw this post, but there are a lot of cases to memorize. This works much better, even if it takes a little longer. Thanks for the help, it has been solved, and I shall keep practicing it