• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Are "G Perms" Necessary for Speedcubing?

Peace99

I live in Lawas, Sarawak, Malaysia. It's actually
Hi everyone! I need some help... are G Perms (Ga, Gb, Gc and Gd) are necessary for Speedcubing? Thanks :D

First of all, welcome to the world of speedcubing Zeyofa! :) It's pretty fun being a speedcuber instead of an ordinary cuber, isn't it? By the way, I do all the PLL algs of CFOP that I learned from Badmephisto. G-perms are actually pretty useful instead of doing a 2-look PLL to skip it. G-perms may seem hard but after some time of practicing it could be fun as the others say. Just keep practicing and learn new PLLs by their frequencies. From the most appearing to the least.

Hope what I just wrote helps. Lol

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well. By definition of CFOP, yes. Because you solve pll in one step. It's not even hard. G-perms are some of my faster algs. I can sub-2 all of them (the only I can't sub-2 are Ns, V, E and maybe F)

WCA
2014TIUA01
Naah, I never learned the G-Perms, but then again, I got stuck at ~24s and then switched to Roux :D so I guess all in all, you should learn them, though I'm sure you could get much faster without them.

Dapianokid

Yes, there are ways of getting around using them. But ultimately, learning them will be very rewarding as they appear quite often in solves.
I can help you get around them, but it's like telling you how to not do something beneficial. It's more work to be lazy than to just do the work!
I love my F and E perms almost as much as I love my T, Y, and R perms. I'm finding my G perms to be fluid when I practice them.

rybaby

WCA
2013PRZY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Necessary? Not at all. I don't think there are any maneuvers that are "necessary" for speedcubing. Helpful? if you are using CFOP, then yes. G-permutations appear once every 4.5 solves. But you can always use A-permutation + U permutation.

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can't just decide that a case doesn't exist... that would be ridiculous.

Even if you decide not to learn algs for the G-perms, you're just going to end up doing T-U or something similar... which is still an alg, it's just one that's much longer than you need. Just learn 'em, it's not that difficult.

Rubiksfreak

They aren't necessary, but if you want to be fast learn them. If you're new to cubing which I'm assuming you are since you're asking this question, just practice. It might all seem confusing at first, but after you practice you wont even have to think about it.