• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Any way to adjust spring tension on Rubik brand?

Lloyd1337

My first cube(not including the one I had ten years ago when I didn't know how to solve it) was a storebought Rubik's brand one. You know, the one with the horrible peeling stickers and popping caps?

Anyway, it wasn't long before I replaced it with a Rubik's DIY cube, which has been great for speedcubing. However, I recently ordered some new stickers for my cubes from Cubesmith, and I'm thinking about reviving my old cube as well.

Here is my problem: it requires a hell of a lot of force to turn some of the sides. It was fine back when I used my whole hand and turned my wrist to turn a face, but now that I "flick" the sides with my index finger, I notice how stiff it is. On my DIY cube, a flick causes a quarter turn. On my old cube, I need to push the side around 90? because a simple flick isn't enough.

Anyway, I disassembled it to adjust the screw tension, and when I removed the cap, there was no screw. The cube is nearly impossible to speedcube, and it hurts my fingers. Also, having an uneven screw tension on all sides is quite annoying.

Is there any hope for my old cube? It would be nice to have a second cube for solving and stuff, and considering I've already ordered a set of replacement stickers for it, it would be a waste to not be able to speedcube with it.

So, is it possible to adjust the spring tension on the 2005 models? And would it be worth lubricating, or would it not help much because of the tightness of the screws? I don't have much lube left over from my DIY cube, and I want to save it for my 4x4(which I also ordered replacement tiles for).

Lloyd1337

Hmm... I just took all of the pieces off of the DIY cube and put them on the old cube mechanism, and it is easily comparable to the DIY cube. It is extremely smooth and fast, and except for the peeling stickers on the center pieces, I would never know it was the old cube.

So, I guess the spring tension isn't so much of an issue. I guess I'll go look for some silicon lube and lube the old pieces up well, and see if that helps.