• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Any Insomniacs?

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
For the past year or 2, I've been having trouble maintaining a proper sleep cycle.

This creates problems in class and life in general.

It's 4:22am, and I usually get to sleep at 6.
It's the holiday, so I don't have to worry, but it troubles me greatly. d:

Any other people who like to stay up late?
Anyone have a cure, mayhaps? :)

r_517

Premium Member
WCA
2009WANG19
i usually fall asleep after at least 2 hours' thinking nothing and turning about on the bed:(

ps: it's 9:41 am here and i still didnt sleep yet

Chaos2011

WCA
2009WARN01
Yeah right now it's 3:45, just got off WoW after 12 hours pretty much straight, and all I want to do is some solves :/

I hate this...

WCA
2009JOHN07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a bad habit of falling asleep on the couch around 2 or 3 am and waking up at 5 am, then watching more TV, then getting to bed maybe 8 am and sleeping until 1 pm, and going to work on a shifted schedule. It's not so much trouble sleeping, but a bad habit.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4Chan: I recommend going to be earlier. You can't complain that you can't sleep if you don't go to bed at a reasonable time. Of course, changing habits will take a long time to adapt to.

aronpm

I follow a pretty regular sleeping pattern. On weekdays, I wake up 7am, because of school. Even during school holidays I wake up at 7am to keep some consistency. I go to bed around 10:30pm or 11pm. Weekends, I usually sleep in until 8am. I rarely sleep past 9am, and when I do, I'm very annoyed about it.

I often have trouble falling sleeping at night. It took me an hour last night. I've tried lots of different variables. Sleeping on different sides of the bed, different amounts of pillows, different firmness/thickness of pillows, direction, etc. I always seem to have trouble.

I can sleep fine during the day. I often have a nap in the afternoon because I'm so tired from my headaches.

baker`

On holidays I fall asleep at around 3-4am and wake up at 12-1pm.
I am usually online gaming and cubing during the night and because I wake up so late I don't get tired :|
Waking up in the afternoon is annoying because the day finishes really quickly and messes with eating patterns aswell.

I slept at 5am the night (morning) before my final exam for Mathematics, I went to sleep with the sun rising ... After only 2 hours of rest I did the exam and still came 3rd in the year.

I will never do that again though.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Recently I've been sleeping at about 4-6 AM til between 7AM-1PM. I've also gone several days without sleep in a row in the past couple of months.
I don't like to go to bed late but I don't really have a choice.

Btw, Insomniac =/= somebody with a bad sleep cycle. It means somebody who finds it difficult to sleep full stop and often goes abnormally long periods without sleeping.

In terms of cures, sleeping drugs can work well, particularly in combination with altering your activity cycle. You should begin a routine of getting up an hour or 2 earlier than you normally do and go and do some exercise (gym, running, swimming etc). Busy yourself earlier on in the day, and then at night you should be kicking back with some entertainment like a book or film that isn't mentally engaging and a warm tasty drink.

Cubing or gaming before bed is a bad idea if you want to get to sleep anytime soon after you get in.

Of course it's very easy for me to say all this but it's not easy to do it, especially if your insomnia is in combination with depression.

Last edited:

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ahh, you're right, I should have made the distinction between insomniac and someone with a bad sleep cycle. I wasn't aware.

Perhaps cubing before sleep is what's causing it, it takes so much attention to do ZZ in comparison to CFOP.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Perhaps cubing before sleep is what's causing it, it takes so much attention to do ZZ in comparison to CFOP.

Yes, I can imagine 3x3 being hard work for you right now, given your newness to EOLine and the volume of algorithms you have to recall from for LL :p

You could maybe try beginning cubing practice earlier in the day and stopping around 10-11 at night, giving yourself an hour or two to chill out with something relaxing and dull before getting into bed...