• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Andy Chakarov's progression thread

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05
Hi, I am Andy Chakarov and this is my progression thread, I am a beginner and I am doing just 3x3 and 2x2 for now. I know 3x3 F2L and after that I use beginner's method and for the 2x2 which I dont really practice I just use the beginner's method but once I learn CFOP I am planning on learning ortega. currently my best times are:

3x3: single: 54.97 ao5: 1:03.03
2x2: single: 15.32 ao5: 21.51

Keep in mind that I am trash at everything I do and yeah, that's it for now.

and like 10 minutes after writing this, I practiced a bit of 2x2 and got a new PB single!

Generated By csTimer+ on 2022-08-14
single: 14.66

Time List:
1. 14.66 F2 R2 U2 F R F R F' U2

when inspecting I saw that I could make the white layer in like 5 moves or something then I got super lucky and there was already just 1 corner in its correct and even tho it took me like 1 second to realize that I just did U R U' L' U R' U' L and realized that I got a skip and got this time, I did have a lot of pauses so I think I could have done it in like 13 seconds.

not really a progression but I got a 3x3 PB but a +2 ruined it

scramble:
L' F' L2 U L2 F2 D' L2 U L2 D' F2 R2 U L' F2 D' U' B2 L' R2

and about 10 minutes later I got a 3x3 PB single
single: 52.65

Time List:
1. 52.65 B2 U L2 D' L2 F2 D' U2 F2 U2 R2 F' L B' F D2 L' D F' D'

I think I am finally getting benefited from using F2L instead of beginner's method

and actually I cant really do a recon but all I know is that I actually didnt get any skips, all of the lucky things I got was a free F2L pair, easy cross but it still took me like 9 moves to finish it and easy last layer

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05
I was so close to getting a new 3x3 PB but I was off by 0.24 seconds because it took me a little bit at the end to notice what case I got, I am still posting it tho because I think the scramble is kinda cool

Generated By csTimer+ on 2022-08-15
single: 52.89

Time List:
1. 52.89 R B2 D2 L U2 R' B2 R2 D2 R' B2 U L2 F' R B' D' U L B R'

edit: nvm I got lucky and got a PB single like 10 solves after.
single: 51.25

Time List:
1. 51.25 D2 U F2 U2 F2 R2 B2 F2 U' F2 B' R2 D' R' U' B' D' R B' L

alright posting this in another message because it will be kind of annoying just spamming edits BUT NEW PB SINGLE ON 3X3 1 SOLVE AFTER

single: 38.91

Time List:
1. 38.91 U' F' L2 B2 D2 R2 U2 R2 B' R2 U2 R2 U2 R B' D R B U F' U'

If you want a reconstruction I am really bad at those so I will just explain what happened

so during inspection I found a really good around 6 move cross solution and got 2 free pairs right after (I didnt even plan that lol) then just did the other 2 pairs normally, ig the lucky part there was the fact that every piece was already in the top layer so I just moved the other pieces so that the didnt go to the bottom layer, after that I just did normal last layer yellow cross matching the colors and creating the cross and the luckiest part of this all was the fact that when I did the U R U' L' U R' U' L to place the corners in the right place I got a complete skip on the part where you have to make them face up.

And that was my really bad reconstruction

New 2x2 PB single!

single: 11.14

Time List:
1. 11.14 F2 R2 F' R U' F2 R2 U2 R2

just by applying the scramble you can see why I got such a great time (using beginner's method ofc)

and after doing the scramble again I got 6 seconds but I am not counting it since I already knew what to do

here is a recon (might not be fully accurate)
starting with the white L shape on bottom and the empty space on the front right (all of this on bottom layer)
U' /// getting the piece on the top of where it needs to be
R' F R F' /// Sledge hammer to insert the piece
U R U' L' U R' U' L /// placing all of the corners in their correct place
Z2 /// so the white side is on top and yellow on bottom there should also be a orange L shape on the front with the empty piece being on the bottom right
(U R U' R) 2 D /// getting the first corner facing up and going to the second corner
R U R' U R U R' /// getting the second corner facing up

and the cube is now solved

mods why do you have to keep making all my messages into one people are gonna think I do it myself and are gonna think I am weird

Last edited:

Imsoosm

1. 11.14 F2 R2 F' R U' F2 R2 U2 R2
For your white layer, you don't have to do a sledgehammer to insert it. You can also do R U' R' to insert it, which is easier and saves 2 moves.

I would strongly recommend you to learn the Ortega method which can be found here. It's a much more efficient method than the one you are currently using, although it does involve learning a few algorithms (7 OLL + 5 PLL), but it's highly worth it and can definitely get you to sub-6 seconds.

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05
For your white layer, you don't have to do a sledgehammer to insert it. You can also do R U' R' to insert it, which is easier and saves 2 moves.

I would strongly recommend you to learn the Ortega method which can be found here. It's a much more efficient method than the one you are currently using, although it does involve learning a few algorithms (7 OLL + 5 PLL), but it's highly worth it and can definitely get you to sub-6 seconds.
Ok thanks!

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05
havent broken any personal records but I am learning 2 look OLL and working on recognizing every case faster and not stopping between the moves in the algs, which is a progression I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05
I finally started using a bit of lookahead and I am finally averaging sub 1 minute with ease (before it was OK to have sub 1 minute but now I do it with ease and I think if I get better at lookahead I will probably average 45 seconds or something a bit higher but close to that)

Oh and I also got a 3.164 single including pickup time on 2x2 but it was just a scramble from a friend

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05
my main broke so now I'll have to use the QiYi Sail W :(
before it broke I was maining the MGC Evo 3x3 but it broke (I am too lazy to explain how) and now I cant use it :(
I have to wait until my birthday to get a new cube but at least I still have a backup main that I can use.

Edit: I did a few solves and fortunately using my backup main I only become just 5 seconds slower which isnt a big deal since I already average like 50 seconds (maybe a bit faster) on a good cube that I am used to

WCA
2019RAMI14
YouTube
Visit Channel
before it broke I was maining the MGC Evo 3x3 but it broke (I am too lazy to explain how) and now I cant use it :(
I have to wait until my birthday to get a new cube but at least I still have a backup main that I can use.

Edit: I did a few solves and fortunately using my backup main I only become just 5 seconds slower which isnt a big deal since I already average like 50 seconds (maybe a bit faster) on a good cube that I am used to
damnn i heard the qiyi sail w isnt that good of a cube

are u able to buy a cube by yourself? or do you not have the money for one? cause a magnetic meilong isnt that expensive and is prtty good for a budget cube, maybe it could be your placeholder till you get a new cube

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05
damnn i heard the qiyi sail w isnt that good of a cube

are u able to buy a cube by yourself? or do you not have the money for one? cause a magnetic meilong isnt that expensive and is prtty good for a budget cube, maybe it could be your placeholder till you get a new cube
I can buy a cube myself I just need to find a budget cube that has sort of the same feel so I can use it like you said until I save up enough money to buy a better cube

WCA
2019RAMI14
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can buy a cube myself I just need to find a budget cube that has sort of the same feel so I can use it like you said until I save up enough money to buy a better cube
id recommend a meilong magnetic 3x3 or a moyu rs3m (2020 or 2021 both are good enough)

from experience though, meilongs usually are way better when set up, so might wanna take note of that

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi, I am Andy Chakarov and this is my progression thread, I am a beginner and I am doing just 3x3 and 2x2 for now. I know 3x3 F2L and after that I use beginner's method and for the 2x2 which I dont really practice I just use the beginner's method but once I learn CFOP I am planning on learning ortega. currently my best times are:

3x3: single: 54.97 ao5: 1:03.03
2x2: single: 15.32 ao5: 21.51

Keep in mind that I am trash at everything I do and yeah, that's it for now.

and like 10 minutes after writing this, I practiced a bit of 2x2 and got a new PB single!

Generated By csTimer+ on 2022-08-14
single: 14.66

Time List:
1. 14.66 F2 R2 U2 F R F R F' U2

when inspecting I saw that I could make the white layer in like 5 moves or something then I got super lucky and there was already just 1 corner in its correct and even tho it took me like 1 second to realize that I just did U R U' L' U R' U' L and realized that I got a skip and got this time, I did have a lot of pauses so I think I could have done it in like 13 seconds.

not really a progression but I got a 3x3 PB but a +2 ruined it

scramble:
L' F' L2 U L2 F2 D' L2 U L2 D' F2 R2 U L' F2 D' U' B2 L' R2

and about 10 minutes later I got a 3x3 PB single
single: 52.65

Time List:
1. 52.65 B2 U L2 D' L2 F2 D' U2 F2 U2 R2 F' L B' F D2 L' D F' D'

I think I am finally getting benefited from using F2L instead of beginner's method

and actually I cant really do a recon but all I know is that I actually didnt get any skips, all of the lucky things I got was a free F2L pair, easy cross but it still took me like 9 moves to finish it and easy last layer
Hi there and welcome!

Happy progressing.

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05
31 SECOND 3x3 SINGLE PB LET'S GOOOOO

Generated By csTimer+ on 2022-08-25
single: 31.12

Time List:
1. 31.12 F D2 B L2 U2 L2 U2 B2 F' U2 L2 F L' B' R2 B2 D2 L2 F' D' R

I didnt even practice the last 5 days or so I was just chilling and after I decided to do some serious practice again I got a new PB

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05

oh btw I got a new main, it is a GAN

Andy Chakarov

WCA
2022CHAK05
so I started using beginner CFOP (intuitive F2L then 2 look OLL and PLL) and I average around 50 seconds while with intuitive F2L and then beginner's last layer I average around 45 seconds so I think for now I am doing ok and all I will be doing is just practice 3x3 and stop practicing 2x2 for a while until I average around 40 seconds, I hope I can even get that down to mid 30 seconds but it probably isnt possible using 2 look OLL and PLL