• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Am I fast or is my cube fast?

jdh3000

am I slow or is my cube slow

Probably what my title should have read.

I was really thinking about if I keep on working and get sub 10 or whatever, will it really be my doing alone.

I suppose at this point it would be... however whatever speed I am at, if a cube is capable of slowing my times, am I really sub 20, sub 15, sub 10?

Does one really have the "bragging rights" to say "I'm sub x" if the cube plays that big of a role?

If it's a junk cube from the dollar store that would fly apart if one turned it very fast, then one who is sub 10 on a valk or gan could only really say "I'm sub 10... depending on the cube."

WCA
2007ESPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
God I remember back in the day when we had to build our own "DIY" cubes that came in pieces in ziplock bags from an Ebay seller in China. I was getting sub 15 off of the crappiest cubes looking back. I'm talking 2007. But we thought those were good cubes then... yeah, cube technology has advanced so insanely in the last 5 years that I know for a fact that the speeds of cubers these days all being sub 10 and so many being sub 8 has a lot to do with hardware improvements. The cubes these days are ridiculous!!! I often fantasize about imagining if I could go back in time with this Gan 356 M and see all the hype that would be had around that cube. It would probably be banned from competition at the time as I think the magnets would be considered an unfair modification not available to anyone else. But yeah, I remember the days when we would see Feliks upload a sub 10 solve on a store bought and came to the conclusion that the cuber is fast and not the cube. To go the other way and give a slow cuber a really good cube though I'm not sure what that says. So yeah, you are a certain speed that is helped by the technology but the real help can only be seen at the highest levels so at 20 seconds I'd say it's more your speed than the cube. At sub 10 it might be more the cube.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am also one of the cubers who believe that it is the cuber and not the cube.

Fingertricks can be developed a lot more. There is a lot of scope.

The hardware is always good, and has been flawless since 2016.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Fingertricks can be developed a lot more. There is a lot of scope.

Fingertricks are a lot more viable on good speedcubes than crappy ones. I have observed S slice moves becoming more in the meta for F2L and some OLL cases, and they are quite a bit harder to do on a cube with bad corner cutting. It also contributed to the popularity of Roux.

The hardware is always good, and has been flawless since 2016.

I have a theory that cubing hardware stopped progressing after the Weilong GTS2M. I think the cubes (especially Moyu cubes) before were definitely improved upon, but after the GTS2M it's basically all the same performance-wise. Disclaimer: I'm biased because the GTS2M was my first "flagship" speedcube and I haven't personally seen any cube that is definitely better performance-wise.