• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Advanced BLD Tutorial

RhodesCuber1

Hey BLDers,

My name is Landon Rhodes and I would like to start making an advanced Blindsolving tutorial on youtube. My goal is to make it a little easier to transition between OP/M2 and full 3-style. Here is the plan for my 15 part tutorial

Part 1:
Intro to commutators, definition, basic examples

Part 2:
How comms work in BLD, U and D layer interchange, and (as Noah calls the ugly duckling case) the R2 U R2 U' R2 insertion plus all mirrors

Part 3:
Other interchanges (F, R, B, L); comms involving UBL, RDF or FDR, and one other piece; and comms involving UBL, LBD or BLD, and one other piece (although I might take this out and make a different video)

Part 4:
cameleon/diagonals OLL cases. Extension of the fact that r U R' U' r' F R F' solves UBL->FUL->UBR and F' r U R' U' r' F R solves UBL->FUR->UBR

Part 5:
Intro to edge comms, advanced M2 (basically doing an easy setup to a UB comm)

Part 6:
slice interchange edge comms (including FU and BD)

Part 7:
layer interchange edge comms (such as DF->UR->FR or DF->LU->LD)

Part 8:
Half slice plane comms (like M' U2 M U2 for DF->UB->UF)

Part 9:
A cool alg I accidentally discovered: (M' U' M U')x2 solves DF->LU->BU. I would include its mirror and their inverses. I might combine this with part 8 because of the lack of content.

Part 10:
center lettering and U2 method for big cube centers

Part 11:
center comms

Part 12:
lettering wings and r2 method

Part 13:
wing comms (very similar to edges but with a few exceptions)

Part 14:
all parities (3x3, big cube corners, big cube wings, big cube centers)

Part 15:
memorization (audio, images, memory palace)

To those of you who already know 3-style: Please respond with any comments you have on this plan including order of videos, content, extra tips/tricks you would like me to include, or anything else you can think of. Also in my videos, do you think I should reference pieces by UBL and the like or should I reference them by the normal Speffz lettering scheme, which would be a lot more natural for me. I would really appreciate your feedback.

To those of you who don't yet know 3-style: I look forward to teaching you guys.

Thanks,
Landon Rhodes

kamilprzyb

WCA
2016PRZY01
Just don't make it too complicated, going into every single detail will confuse people at the beginning
Maskow did a very good and simple tutorial, when he just showed easiest comms
UBL->Top layer pieces->Lower pieces of F,R,B,L
and things like UBL->UBR->DFL
Then in next part he showed situations with RBU and FLU

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
15 parts is a lot. Perhaps make the first video and see what the feedback is like?

How long have you been doing comms and what are your times?

RhodesCuber1

15 parts is a lot. Perhaps make the first video and see what the feedback is like?

How long have you been doing comms and what are your times?

I have been doing comms about 6 months or so. I average around 2:20 (mostly because of slow memo) with a PB of 1:35 in 3BLD, around 16 to 20 minutes in 4BLD, around 50 minutes in 5BLD although I haven't gotten a full success yet, and 6/7 in just over an hour for MBLD, so I'm definitely not the fastest, but I feel like I know enough comms to teach this. I have found a ton of beginning 3BLD tutorials, but very little for people who want to go further. I might be wrong, but the only advanced tutorial I've seen is Noah's 10 part 3-style tutorial, which I want to expand upon and give some more concrete examples.
Landon Rhodes

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would like to see this. I'm working on learning comms but it hasn't quite clicked yet. 15 parts does sound a lot but it gives people a chance to focus on what they need.

I didn't know Maskow had done a video. I'll look that up. I assume it's on his own channel @kamilprzyb?

Pi

WCA
2008VENK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would split the series into two sets: a regular 3BLD series and a big blind series. In terms of cycles, I suggest referring to them as UBL, UFR, etc. That way, people can apply their own letter schemes as they watch your videos.