• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A Non-Clicking Mod For The V-Cube 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DcF1337

MeMyself&Pi! He's an awesome guy, love his videos. :)

On-topic:
Errr I have a V-Cube 6 but I'm not much of a modding guy, so I think I'll just leave my V6 as it is. I easily destroy things so... I'd rather just leave my V6 alone.

Like they say, if you're not being chased, don't run. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. You might argue that the clicking V6 is "broken", but hey, that's just me. I'm too much of a coward to risk destroying my precious V6. :D

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
If you have ever tried to speedsolve a 6x6, you know that pops can be deadly.
yeah but this isn't a mod to fix popping, its a mod to eliminate the clicking and misalignment of the middle layer. It may or may not help with popping, but I don't see any clear reason as to why this would significantly help prevent popping.

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Popping happens most often on the 6x6 because the outer layers are forced OUTWARD on a turn. This is because the outer bumps on the internal midge (the bits he sands down) have to push OUT around the core.

Actually, I only skipped through the video, and happened to only see parts about the sanded-down midges. Still, this mod should reduce pops greatly.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
ok I just watched the solving video, he did say at the end how it pretty much never pops except for some edge twists. I think I'm actually going to try this at some point, it looks like it performs nicely. I find it funny that someone on youtube with superglue, sandpaper, a pin, and one v-cube can come along improve something that has been worked hard on for years to perfect.

TheJoker

WCA
2008ORTE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
it is a nice MOD... especially on V6... and it is sad to say... i agree with ELLIS...

V6 has been in the factory for years to perfect its mechanism... then a mode like this involving a PIN, GLUE and SANDPAPER...??? what will VERDES will say about this...

and back to the TOPIC... i don't know what the PIN will be doing... why put it in the first place...??? any idea... the modder never explained for some reason what it was used for...???

and also... by gluing the two pieces on the center piece... how would you turn the INNER SLICE... if it was GLUED... i can imagine it... but it is working...

what i did is put a non permanent glue... like ELMERS GLUE that everybody in everyday uses... when i turn the INNER SLICE it always messed up... it always remove from the glued itself... how this possible...

but overall... it is a very nice find... if it explained a little bit more... i might try it... but V6 is a very expensive CUBE... so a little doubt about it...

thanks a lot... hehehehehehhe... :D:D:D:D

iploman

YouTube
Visit Channel
I glued the two pieces to center core and sanded the inner pieces. My v6 doesn't click anymore on 3-slice moving. Its not true that connecting two inner pieces with core make v6 moveless ;)

When i get sandpaper I'll finish the rest.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys. This is MeMyselfAndPi on YouTube. The guy who made that video. I've seen this forum every now & then then searching stuff in Google. But I finally joined today when I found this topic in Google too.

..but I don't see any clear reason as to why this would significantly help prevent popping.
Well I think the clicking mechanism causes most of the pops to begin with. So then it would make sense that pops would reduce taking out the clicking. It still pops every now & then, but not as much as before.

...i don't know what the PIN will be doing... why put it in the first place...??? any idea... the modder never explained for some reason what it was used for...???
I explain how it all works at 7:30 mark in the video.

Anymore question, just let me know here.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ok guys,

First off, Great addition to a mod I've already known about. In my main 6x6, the only thing I have done is sand down the big internal pieces. It makes all of the outer layers turn amazingly well, and almost never pops. The only downside to my mod, is that the M slice has some stability issues. I'm assuming with this fix, it should be much better. I'm planning on doing this mod tomorrow.

@Me Myself & Pi
How did you salvage your clickless mod? The 6x6 I tried it on turned out horrific. The only issue would be 'ungluing' the internal pieces from the core.

watermelon

WCA
2007STER01
What would happen if you were to sand and cut down all of the necessary pieces, but leave out the steps in which pieces are glued to the core or pin fragments are glued to the rivets? Would the clicking go away but the misalignment issue would remain?

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, the misalignment would happen practically all the time. The two glued pieces remove 67% of the misalignments. The pins remove the other 33%. I tried solving the cube with only the glued pieces & the misalignments still happened frequently.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How stable does the cube feel with this mod?
I'm going to be doing some work on my V6 over this week, and if I can find some superglue I might have a go at this if I can't stop the popping any other way (I would like to remove the misalignment issue, but I do like the clicking so I'm reluctant to sand the inner pieces ^^)

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
I might have a go at this if I can't stop the popping any other way (I would like to remove the misalignment issue, but I do like the clicking so I'm reluctant to sand the inner pieces ^^)
I could be wrong, again, but I dont think you can keep the clicking while getting rid of popping. memyself&pi's first mod will get rid of the alignment issue and leave the clicking, but it wont help with popping because you're not sanding down the pieces. I think less popping comes with eliminating the clicking by sanding not just eliminating the alignment problem, but again I could be wrong.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My intention is to remove the popping by sanding the stalks of the corners where they get under the centers and cause them to pop out. I might also sand down the pointy part of the centers if that helps.

jcuber

WCA
2009LEVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I find it funny that someone on youtube with superglue, sandpaper, a pin, and one v-cube can come along improve something that has been worked hard on for years to perfect.

I agree. It reminds me of the way Artemis stole the fairy theif painting in Artemis Fowl: the Opal Deception (awesome book)

YouTube
Visit Channel
I find it funny that someone on youtube with superglue, sandpaper, a pin, and one v-cube can come along improve something that has been worked hard on for years to perfect.

I agree. It reminds me of the way Artemis stole the fairy theif painting in Artemis Fowl: the Opal Deception (awesome book)

That is a very good book. I hope to have the time and motivation to do this mod soon. I love my 6x6 but the popping and overall feel of the cube causes me to not solve it very much. This would make it my new favorite cube.

YouTube
Visit Channel
How stable does the cube feel with this mod?
Well mine does feel a little loser then then the V-Cube 7 & 5. But awhile ago I put Vaseline in the cube. When I cleaned it out later, it has a little whiteness in it. So it dissolved the plastic a little. Also, I scraped down all the mold lines with an exacto knife. I'm sure this made it loose to begin with.
But it's still easy to handle.

lol, I know. But I spent a long time thinking this whole thing through!

I would like to remove the misalignment issue, but I do like the clicking so I'm reluctant to sand the inner pieces
Yeah, just like Ellis said, I dought it would do any good to just remove the misalignment & not get rid of the clickyness to reduce the popping.

Removing the clickyness would make it just as good as the V-Cube 7. They both use the same mechanism & the same amount of pieces.

My intention is to remove the popping by sanding the stalks of the corners where they get under the centers and cause them to pop out. I might also sand down the pointy part of the centers if that helps.
That might work. I don't see any harm in trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.