• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4x4 beginner

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I'm interested in 4x4. I have very little knoledge of it, but I think i get the jist of the solving methodolgy, or at least the idea of how to do it. Basically I would like to know what methods are beginner helpful ( im pretty noobish with a 3x3, but i understand alot of the maths behind it) and if there are any particular brands worth mentioning.

I won't be lazy and not research myself, just thought i would leave this here for a more direct information flow with the community.

Thanks in advance guys :)

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks Kirjava, I'll look into it. Could you recommend a brand, or possibly a particular model? I would prefer something fluid, if you know of any that are particularily smoth that would help alot in choice.

:)

theace

WCA
2010RAOA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been using 2 Pairing Alot. I've stagnated at 1:40. Should I switch edge pairing methods or should I work on something else? I'm looking at a sub 1 average in the long run.

Centers: Sub 25, Sub 20 on good solves
Edge Pairing: Gets done at about 50 sec to 1:05 Sec (So it's between 30 to 60 seconds I assume)
3x3 Mode: 30 to 40 Sec (I have a sub 25 avg on the GuHong though :p)

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For brands:

Dayan is bigger, smoother, but will pop a fair amount
Maru is smaller, a bit crunchier, but won't pop, but it can get an internal misalignment if you are rough with it

Personally I would recommend Maru.

And of course reduction is the best method to go with for a beginner.

Coke

WCA
2011MCDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I'm interested in 4x4. I have very little knoledge of it, but I think i get the jist of the solving methodolgy, or at least the idea of how to do it. Basically I would like to know what methods are beginner helpful ( im pretty noobish with a 3x3, but i understand alot of the maths behind it) and if there are any particular brands worth mentioning.

I won't be lazy and not research myself, just thought i would leave this here for a more direct information flow with the community.

Thanks in advance guys :)

I've heard that the Ghost hand 4x4 II is really good, and is certainly smooth and fast. However, I don't have one, so I wouldn't know.

It actually depends. Are you a more of a rougher and harder cuber or a little more refined and smooth?

The Maru 4x4 is pretty good if you are kind of rough, however the internal mech can come out of alignment sometimes. But its not to hard to fix, just kind of jiggle it and try to turn different faces until it comes together.

The Dayan is really fast and smooth, however if you are really rough or overestimate corner cutting ability, that thing will pop like crazy.

Sorry no links this time, just google it.

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
considering my hardware isnt exactly the best for allowing me to develop a style (store bought rubix brand yadda yadda) its kind of unkown to me. I think I'm looking for something that will cut corners well, not necessarily brilliantly, and which doesnt pop much at all. I know they are to some extent inversely proportional, but i think i would prefer a few more pops for a smoother overall cube. If I slow down and refine my technique, pops will drop, and then increase as I speed up, but as long as i don't try and go faster than my skill level dictates i expect my "pop-age" to remain constant over time.

In short, i want fast and smooth, but the fact that you guys say the Dayan pops more than just a little when you try and over cut, i think for starts I will try the Maru :)
Once again thanks Coke. You're Always there with an answer haha!

peedu

If you are a beginner, i recommend Shengshou/Ghost Hand 4x4 II (Same thing)
Its Cheap and good for beginners

I have Shengshou, Dayan and QJ. QJ wore off pretty quickly and I could not stop popping, so I got Dayan and Shengshou. I'm mostly blindsolving and my pops are minor - like one edge piece just opening a bit when I do u-slice turns. I have them very tight.

Shengshou exploded during the scrambling on the first week before I had tightened it. Dang, there were pieces under the fridge, behind the microwave and basically all over the kitchen. I counted the pieces and searched some more several times before I got all of them. I used some tape to assist with assembly.
So that might be a minus for Shengshou that it is hard to assemble.

Peedu

maggot

I've been using 2 Pairing Alot. I've stagnated at 1:40. Should I switch edge pairing methods or should I work on something else? I'm looking at a sub 1 average in the long run.

Centers: Sub 25, Sub 20 on good solves
Edge Pairing: Gets done at about 50 sec to 1:05 Sec (So it's between 30 to 60 seconds I assume)
3x3 Mode: 30 to 40 Sec (I have a sub 25 avg on the GuHong though :p)

look at yau. basics:

1)pair 2 opposite centers.
2)place cross color on L face
3)pair 2 cross edge and place them in the L face in correct position.
4)pair one more cross edge and intentionally put it in the wrong place in relation to the cross.
5)build remain 4 centers using r R and U
6)pair last cross edge
7)replace 'wrong' cross edge with your last pair, bring the empty cross slot over and insert the 'wrong' cross edge into correct cross position. restore centers.
8)place cross on bottom
9)3 pair and finish with a couple 2 pairs, or 6 pair remaining 8 edge groups. (can be done really quickly because lookahead is as easy as finding f2l pairs)
10)solve as a 3x3 with the cross already done for yoU!