• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2021 Forum Awards!

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
@SH03L4C3, I'm sorry; I misunderstood and messed up when I posted that. I can only really allow people who joined in 2021, just to be able to draw a consistent line. Again, sorry about that. I'm pretty sure that that case won't come up, but if it does, that person won't be able to win that award.
I think he was hinting that he wanted to be nominated lol.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
They wouldn’t have enough of an impact and enough nominations in that 1 day to be considered by anyone.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to call a member who was a member before the year in question to be considered as a new member in the year in question.

But also, with that same reasoning, I have to comment about the post date of this forum awards thread.

It's annoying to see the announcing of the end of the year right after Halloween . . . especially that there are so many young people on here that perhaps the majority of the time they are active is during the holidays in winter. Should someone do something cool in December (where December 31st is also included!), people won't have to change their votes (go back and edit their posts).

Keep in mind that the first forum awards thread ever (2009) was started just a week before the year was over. (I don't think it should have ever been changed . . . if this thread must exist.)

For next year, I request that this thread be started in late December -- if not on January 1st -- where the deadline to vote is like January 10th, and the results are posted on January 15th or something. That would make much more sense.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to call a member who was a member before the year in question to be considered as a new member in the year in question.

But also, with that same reasoning, I have to comment about the post date of this forum awards thread.

It's annoying to see the announcing of the end of the year right after Halloween . . . especially that there are so many young people on here that perhaps the majority of the time they are active is during the holidays in winter. Should someone do something cool in December (where December 31st is also included!), people won't have to change their votes (go back and edit their posts).

Keep in mind that the first forum awards thread ever (2009) was started just a week before the year was over. (I don't think it should have ever been changed . . . if this thread must exist.)

For next year, I request that this thread be started in late December -- if not on January 1st -- where the deadline to vote is like January 10th, and the results are posted on January 15th or something. That would make much more sense.
I’ll keep that in mind for next year. Thanks for the suggestion!

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
@SH03L4C3, I'm sorry; I misunderstood and messed up when I posted that. I can only really allow people who joined in 2021, just to be able to draw a consistent line. Again, sorry about that. I'm pretty sure that that case won't come up, but if it does, that person won't be able to win that award.
In all fairness, not that it actually matters, the cutoff date should be no later than whatever date nominations closed last year.

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
In all fairness, not that it actually matters, the cutoff date should be no later than whatever date nominations closed last year.
Not to be hostile, but last year people were telling me that I shouldn’t allow any nominations from the year before, but now it’s being encouraged? I’m really confused. I’d love if anybody else could organize this even better next year, but for now, can we just use January 1, 2021 as a cutoff date?

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Not to be hostile, but last year people were telling me that I shouldn’t allow any nominations from the year before, but now it’s being encouraged? I’m really confused. I’d love if anybody else could organize this even better next year, but for now, can we just use January 1, 2021 as a cutoff date?
I don't have a dog in the fight, I don't remember if I weighed in last year, but it does create a weird gap if you accept nominations for "best of the year" until a date before the end of the year, but then the next year not before the first of the year. I think the right way to do it is to accept nominations until midnight December 31st, although for something like "new member" that involves building a reputation it might make sense to accept nominations until December 31st but allow nominations for accounts that were created in (or were inactive prior to) the last month or two of the prior year.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Best Post: this one
Best Thread: APB - The cubing argument thread
Best New Member:
Best Profile Picture: zzoomer, the original
Best Signature:
Best Debater:
Most Helpful Member: xyzzy
Most Deserving of a Hug:
Funniest Member:
Funniest Thread:
Funniest Post:
Greatest Return From a Hiatus:
Most Improved Noob:
Most Under-Appreciated Member:
Biggest Fanboy:
Best Series on YouTube (Cubing):
Best New Method Proposal:
Best New Method Substep Proposal:
Best New Software Program:

In honor of:
Mike Hughey Award for Nicest Member:
Bruce Norskog Award for Smartest Member:
Rob "Brest" Stuart Award for Best Member:
Kirjava Award for Wackiest Member:

Cubing
Most Impressive Unofficial Solve(s):
Best Reaction to a World Record: Biggest Cubing Rivalry: Tymon Kolalsinski vs Matty Hiroto Inaba
Biggest Controversy: pineapples on pizza (obvious answer)
Best Cubing Parent(s):
Best Cubing Couple:

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I was thinking about the suggestions that I’ve gotten, and I think I’m going to extend nominations by a lot. It just makes way more sense to be able to include everything that has happened in 2021. I hope you all understand. (and maybe endorse the change?) The nomination period will now go to mid-January. I will update the original post soon. Thanks for your understanding!