• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2016 Forum Awards!

Sion

Meh. What can I say? So much has happened in 2016 one set of forum awards isn't really enough.

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't blame this on the author of the thread. I'd blame it on everyone who makes these kinds of personal attacks and make it not fun anymore.
Yeah, I don't really think there's a point in arguing over solve times and their validity when thinking about whether the host for the awards is any good. What I do think is a problem was the overall mess the awards themselves have been. They were just copy-pasted from last year (minus a few exceptions), and there are quite a few that I don't think deserve to be awards. Biggest Postwhore. Most Deserving of a Ban. These aren't awards. Isn't this supposed to be a positive thing? Isn't the goal to show off the best of the forums, not the best and worst of everything?

Honestly I think this year is a bust. But with the right people and a bit more planning, this can be much more successful next year, should that ever happen. For all I know, we'll all just mutually agree to never do this again come November or December of next year.

Umm Roux?

I think the forums awards should start when the year actually ends and be concluded at the end of january
Will this be okay?

I'm still confused as to why this got stopped, all this "negativity" that supposedly transpired was just a select few that couldn't get over Gateway Cuber's times. I think we can excuse the BLD times, he owned up to it we can let one slide. The times on his signature could be legit or fake, nobody knows, they are definitely possible. If he really wanted to brag though, why did he put his times in a non-extremely active forum( a very respectable one) where signatures are of minimal concern to others? Even if those times are fake, it's not like he is heavily advertising them on a thread but rather in a signature. Finally, why does it matter if the host is a good person or not, he has little say in most activity and nobody looks up to the host thinking, "oh, he's a forum-awards host, he must be the most amazing of cubers".

Last edited:

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Will this be okay?

I'm still confused as to why this got stopped, all this "negativity" that supposedly transpired was just a select few that couldn't get over Gateway Cuber's times. I think we can excuse the BLD times, he owned up to it we can let one slide. The times on his signature could be legit or fake, nobody knows, they are definitely possible. If he really wanted to brag though, why did he put his times in a non-extremely active forum( a very respectable one) where signatures are of minimal concern to others? Even if those times are fake, it's not like he is heavily advertising them on a thread but rather in a signature. Finally, why does it matter if the host is a good person or not, he has little say in most activity and nobody looks up to the host thinking, "oh, he's a forum-awards host, he must be the most amazing of cubers".
Should we... try again?

And yeah, I agree with the points you made. If you own up to something you did, then good for you. That should be the end of it right there.

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
I mean a lot of people were upset with all the negative categories, who wants to say publicly who they think should be banned? There's too many categories and even if the negative ones were all removed participation would still be low.