• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] 10-year hiatus from cubing

TeaSwiller

Hi! I started cubing in middle school (6th or 7th grade, can't remember), and when I moved to a brand new high school in a brand new state in 9th grade, my Rubik's cube was my best friend. As the shy new kid in high school who didn't know how to talk to anybody and only played with her cube during lunch, in the hallways, in the classrooms after finishing my work, somehow a few people around campus started cubing too (I counted 10 independent cubers - none of us ever talked to each other :'D ). I only knew the algorithm that came with the Rubik's manual, and knew nothing about speedcubing. My cube broke apart in college (one of the interior pieces broke off, so I couldn't spin it without the whole thing crumbling), and I haven't touched a cube since.

The reason I'm here is because during a long day at work yesterday, I found the tiny gag 3x3 I got from a white elephant a few years ago in my backpack, and I started scrambling/playing with it. It brought back a lot of memories, so I want to get back into cubing and learn all these fancy new techniques! Looking forward to stealing all y'all's secrets :)

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
welcome, I started cubing around 10 years ago too, but I got sub20 in a year and stopped practicing seriously after I got a job.
my average never lowered, I have a cube by my side and always solve it casually but I plan to start practicing seriously anytime soon (procrastinating much?)

Last edited:

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi! I started cubing in middle school (6th or 7th grade, can't remember), and when I moved to a brand new high school in a brand new state in 9th grade, my Rubik's cube was my best friend. As the shy new kid in high school who didn't know how to talk to anybody and only played with her cube during lunch, in the hallways, in the classrooms after finishing my work, somehow a few people around campus started cubing too (I counted 10 independent cubers - none of us ever talked to each other :'D ). I only knew the algorithm that came with the Rubik's manual, and knew nothing about speedcubing. My cube broke apart in college (one of the interior pieces broke off, so I couldn't spin it without the whole thing crumbling), and I haven't touched a cube since.

The reason I'm here is because during a long day at work yesterday, I found the tiny gag 3x3 I got from a white elephant a few years ago in my backpack, and I started scrambling/playing with it. It brought back a lot of memories, so I want to get back into cubing and learn all these fancy new techniques! Looking forward to stealing all y'all's secrets :)
Nice story.

10 years hiatus is a long period.

TeaSwiller

Welcome, new cubers now have everything so much easier anyway...
Tell me about it! There so many OPTIONS now. I remember the only way to get a “speedcube” was to lube your Rubik’s yourself smh

Welcome! Very interesting story.
Thank you x2!

welcome, I started cubing around 10 years ago too, but I got sub20 in a year and stopped practicing seriously after I got a job.
my averaged never lowered, I have a cube by my side and always solve it casually but I plan to start practicing seriously anytime soon (procrastinating much?)
Wow! And I was so proud of my sub30 record too ☹️ Don’t push yourself to practice if you don’t feel like it! It’ll be too easy to become a chore and then it won’t be fun anymore.

Nice story.

10 years hiatus is a long period.
It is! There’s definitely some trauma associated with having your cube that’s been with you almost 10 years shatter in your hands lol it’s like the formula for getting over a relationship, right? However many years the relationship lasted, multiply it by 1.whatever for you to get over it…

Welcome back! It’s great to see people come back to cubing after being gone for so long.
Thanks!! I think it’s great I took such a long break because I literally forgot how to solve the last layer. The first two layers I still remember because I solved it on my own without an algorithm (true mastery right there :p), so I’m looking forward to actually learning the secrets of the cube as a (hopefully) smarter adult :’)