• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

♛ The best speedcubers of all time ♛

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have always wondered what is the best way to tell who's the best of all time in each event. For example Erik's 7.08 was way more impressive and crucial few years ago than ~5.5s solve nowadays. The same goes for every event. I developed two methods. You can consider first one a little bit silly, because it has few defects, but its purpose is to support the second one if the results are unclear.

In my opinion the last WR of the year in every event have the biggest value. World Records that stand for very short period of time are quickly forgotten. Feliks did 5 WRs in 5x5 single in a row. And suddenly Yu Nakajima and Kristopher De Asis took it from him. But actually what was the difference? He get them back in like 1 or 2 months. In the end he won the battle for the WR of the year 2012 in 5x5.

You can see the list of such a world records in the link below. There is a year, the time, the name of the competitor and the improvement of the last year WR (in %). The number in "( )" means how many years the competitor had the WR of the year. http://www.kostkarubika.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=9910&p=87258#p87258

The second method is to simply count how many days in total somebody held all his world records in each event. You can see that number in the left "( )" in the link above. It actually works pretty fine. All the fundamental and crucial world records are often the world records of the year.

The results for the best speedcubers of all time are:
2x2 single: Christian Kaserer
2x2 average: Feliks Zemdegs

3x3 single: Feliks Zemdegs
3x3 average: Feliks Zemdegs

4x4 single: Feliks Zemdegs
4x4 average: Sebastian Weyer

5x5 single: Feliks Zemdegs
5x5 average: Feliks Zemdegs

6x6 single: Kevin Hays
6x6 average: Kevin Hays

7x7 single: Michał Halczuk
7x7 average: Feliks Zemdegs

3OH single: Feliks Zemdegs
3OH average: Michał Pleskowicz

3WF single: Anssi Vanhala
3WF average: Anssi Vanhala

3FMC single: Tim Wong
3FMC average: Sebastian Auroux

3BLD single: Haiyan Zhuang
3BLD average: Haiyan Zhuang

3MBLD: Marcin Kowalczyk

4BLD: Chris Hardwick

5BLD: Chris Hardwick

Megaminx single: Simon Westlund
Megaminx average: Bálint Bodor

Pyraminx single: Oskar Roth Andersen
Pyraminx average: Oskar Roth Andersen

SQ-1 single: Bingliang Li
SQ-1 average: Bingliang Li

Clock single: Sam Zhixiao Wang
Clock average: Mátyás Kuti/Stefan Pochmann

Skewb single: Jonatan Kłosko
Skewb average: Jonatan Kłosko

curiosity: Feliks hold all his WRs for 15 602 days (32 years) in total. That kinda make him the master of the speedcubing. But we all know that :D

Last edited:

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Agrees and disagrees.

But IMO weighting these against number of total WRs, total CRs, total NRs, podiums in major competitions would be a lot better. I.e. Marcell Endrey had a WR, a World title and a European title in every BLD event and improved upon Chris Hardwick's 4BLD and 5BLD times by over 50% and over 100% respectively (effort to work out exact percentages right now) but doesn't get a look in.

Or a person's sum of ranks over time (i.e. if they have consistently been in the top 20 since 2010 then they probably a good candidate for an all-time great).

Damien Porter

WCA
2012PORT01
In my mind we should look at the first time someone held a world record that has not yet been taken off them (in this streak). Making Bingliang Li's square-1 average the longest standing world record streak. Though perhaps to counter popularity we should instead look at how many times have people tried to break that record since it was set. This means every solve (if single record) from every round of every competiion that every competitor attempted a solve in that event is all added up to get a more accurate idea of how difficult it would of been to keep a record that long.

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Related to what Ollie said: What about people who, after making it to the top X, have always stayed there but have never broken a world record. For example: Someone could stay in the top 5 for 3x3x3 for 10 years.

megaminxwin

Current Clock NR Holder
WCA
2010MACA01
This post is kind of dumb, it's really hard to objectively rank speedcubers.

Besides we all know Thom is the best so

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
'Best' is a partially subjective metric, and WCA rankings aren't complete - remember when Rob Yau was possibly a computer program? Though I'm not 100% certain that's false.