• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Unreachable positions

Jaspar

How do we know that there are unreachable positions on a Rubik's cube?
How do we know what they are?

I'm interested in a proof or proof sketch that:
(i) there are positions on a Rubik's Cube that cannot be reached by legal moves.
(ii) there is no sequence of moves that will swap a single pair of pieces or rotate a single corner or edge ect.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
Every quarter turn on a Rubik's cube permutes the pieces on that layer, such that there is an odd-parity permutation of edges and an odd-parity permutation of corners. Together they create an overall even-parity permutation of the pieces on that face. Because all legal moves on a Rubik's cube can be broken down into a sequence of quarter turns, it is impossible for the cube to enter a permutation with odd parity if only legal moves are used.

So for:
(i) A single swap of two edges, or any odd-parity permutation is a state which cannot be reached by legal moves.
(ii) A swap of a single pair is an odd-parity permutation, and is impossible to achieve with quarter-turns according to the above.

EDIT: More information on this wiki page.

Last edited:

Jaspar

So you only need to analyze one quarter turn. I was expecting something a lot more complicated.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, since any move sequence is just a bunch of quarter turns after each other, looking at one quarter turn is enough to figure out what kinds of positions are unreachable.

It's a bit trickier to prove that every position you think is reachable IS, though.

M4rQu5

If it can be reached with legal moves, atleast it is undoable with the inverted moves.