• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

UK Competitions 2021

Hi

Are there any plans for UK competitions happening in 2021? I'm a relatively new cuber and I want to get a chance to qualify for Worlds 2021 and I live in the UK. It might be silly to have to travel further to qualify than to actually go to worlds!

Thanks

John

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are no competitions in UK planned this year (https://www.worldcubeassociation.or...rs&from_date=&to_date=&delegate=&display=list)

I think the best bet you have for getting the qualifying times, is to mail the organisers explaining your situation, and hearing a solution or reply from them.

I agree travelling to China, Australia and NZ (the only places that have comps), just to qualify for Almere is too ambitious.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the UK organisers are waiting until June 21st to see whether Boris Johnson sticks to his word and actually does open up fully then, then hopefully we can have some competitions over the summer, if we don't fully open up on June 21st then I don't think worlds is happening anyway.

Thanks for your help! That does sound good waiting until June 21st - very good points. In the mean time I'll message the organisers and see if they have any suggestions because I'm sure there are more people in my situation.

Jam88

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for your help! That does sound good waiting until June 21st - very good points. In the mean time I'll message the organisers and see if they have any suggestions because I'm sure there are more people in my situation.
Yup, I'm in your situation :(. Was going to go to Bristol Open 2020 to get my qualifying times but,...

PCCuber

WCA
2022CEND01
Covid restrictions are easing this Monday.
  • Large indoor performances and sporting events with a capacity of 1,000 people will be allowed.
Does this mean cubing comps will be allowed? Or do we still have to wait for June 21st?

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Covid restrictions are easing this Monday.
  • Large indoor performances and sporting events with a capacity of 1,000 people will be allowed.
Does this mean cubing comps will be allowed? Or do we still have to wait for June 21st?
Technically I think small competitions have been allowed since April 12th but I don't think the delegates are going to run anything until at least June 21st and that's assuming that goes ahead as planned. Knowing what our government is like they will probably move the goalposts again (like a horse rider holding a carrot on a stick in front of the horse to keep the horse moving...).

cuber314159

WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel

LBr

WCA
2022FOGG01

The first of them has been announced