• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The cubing argument thread

rubik2005

Then why can’t 15 puzzle be another exception
15-puzzle is not a twisty puzzle, but rather a Klotski puzzle. It behaves much different. There has been arguments about whether clock is or isn't a twisty puzzle, but as we can see it's a WCA event, and is quite unique. The WCA won't just start adding random things like burr, jigsaw, and geranium puzzles since they fall into a different category.

I'm not saying it does not deserve to be an event, it's quite fun actually, but it just wouldn't make sense.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
15-puzzle is not a twisty puzzle, but rather a Klotski puzzle. It behaves much different. There has been arguments about whether clock is or isn't a twisty puzzle, but as we can see it's a WCA event, and is quite unique. The WCA won't just start adding random things like burr, jigsaw, and geranium puzzles since they fall into a different category.

I'm not saying it does not deserve to be an event, it's quite fun actually, but it just wouldn't make sense.
15 puzzle has its own variants and type of puzzles. It is very satisfying to solve 15 puzzle in slidesym.

I agree it should not be added to the WCA, but it is fun to compete in 15 puzzle in the weekly comp on SS.

Two opinions:

CFOP is overrated (even though I use it lol). It's good for turning fast but it isn't usually very efficient. I think there would be world-class solvers using Roux, ZZ, Mehta e.t.c if there were as many resources and videos on them as there are for CFOP.

Second opinion:

F2L tricks videos are useless. 90% of them only turn up once in every 10000000 solve, or have such bad fingertricks that it's actually slower then doing the standard algorithm. 9% are good but are obvious and basically common knowledge by now. The remaining 1% are good and unique.

YouTube
Visit Channel
F2L tricks videos are useless. 90% of them only turn up once in every 10000000 solve, or have such bad fingertricks that it's actually slower then doing the standard algorithm. 9% are good but are obvious and basically common knowledge by now. The remaining 1% are good and unique.
Yeah, the only f2l trick I actually used from a vid was to insert misoriented pairs using f R f', also cfop ain't overrated because lookahead is easy with it and it minimizes the most regrips.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
New argument: ppl keep saying that this v perm is the best R' U R' U' R D' R' D R' U D' R2 U' R2 D R2 , when the truth is that its inverse is better.
Change my mind
Inverse simply isn't as fast. I can get down to 0.85 with R' U R' U' R D' R' D R' U D' R2 U' R2 D R2 but barely can get sub 1 with inverse. And i've extensively practiced both.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Inverse simply isn't as fast. I can get down to 0.85 with R' U R' U' R D' R' D R' U D' R2 U' R2 D R2 but barely can get sub 1 with inverse. And i've extensively practiced both.
Both algs start with a regrip, however the inverse has easier finger tricks. The alg that you are supporting requires a drag U move and a reverse D push simultaneously, while the inverse's hardest finger trick is just a reverse D push

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
Both algs start with a regrip, however the inverse has easier finger tricks. The alg that you are supporting requires a drag U move and a reverse D push simultaneously, while the inverse's hardest finger trick is just a reverse D push
The fact that the inverse has "easier finger tricks" doesn't make it any better. Both algs are equally consistent, standard is faster.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
How can you support the fact that both algs are equally consistent?
They're both RUD gen, and have the same amount of overworking and regrips.
Easier fingertricks makes the alg less risky
Not necessarily. Drag U and reverse D are not risky at all. It's like saying M moves are risky. Yes, they do require a bit of practice, but after that they are extremely consistent.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Not necessarily. Drag U and reverse D are not risky at all. It's like saying M moves are risky. Yes, they do require a bit of practice, but after that they are extremely consistent.
Even if they are as consistent as you say, you do have to slow down a bit to do the move. Also it leaves your hand in a weird position to do the R2 afterwards, making your hand having to readjust a bit.