• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Shorten Megaminx scrambling notation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thieflordz5

WCA
2009PAPP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking, don't you just need the +/- and U, as long as you know where to start, (like starting D+, -) since each twist is double, you don't need the extraneous +/-
So a scramble might look like this:
R+ - + + - + - + - U D- + .... and so on.
You could also have the beginning of each letter so the same scramble would be:
R+ D- R+ D+ R- D+ R- D+ R- U D- R+...

Even with the second method, you shorten the notation by 33.3%!
What do you guys think?

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The scramblers at competitions will generally not be the people familiar with scrambling minx (those are competing!). It helps if the official notation is clear.

Unofficially, you can condense your scrambles any way you want.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, the alternating letters and the width help me to not lose track of where I am, especially when the puzzle locks up or even pops and I lose focus for a moment.

I prefer
R-- D-- R-- D-- R-- D-- R-- D-- R-- D-- U'
to
R- - - - - - - - - - U'.

Last edited:

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
Considering a megaminx scramble is only 60 bits of information (since the Us always match with the Ds they follow), you can also write it as a 60-digit binary number. Or a 15-digit hexadecimal number.
Yes, it's a stupid idea, but it's the "puzzle theory" section here, it's not meant to be practical :D

Status
Not open for further replies.