• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Qiyi SQ-1 uneven layers

Forcefulness

YouTube
Visit Channel
Upon inspection of my slower layer, I noticed some imperfections on the big corners of those pieces. I shaved them down to make the pieces more flush and that has helped a bit. I only did a rudimentary job but I think I found the issue and solution

UPDATE** Wow, after breaking it in proceeding the modification the cube has gotten wayyyy better

Last edited:

Slicemage

Wow, after breaking it in proceeding the modification the cube has gotten wayyyy better

Which mod did you do? Was it just shaving down the pieces you mentioned, or was there something more?

Mine still has the issue even after breaking in - one side completely uncontrollable, and the other side still too stiff. Hopefully it will go away with more time, but it seems like maybe there was a batch of defective puzzles released :(

TCG

Whats a low mod? I only saw 1 video about it but it was in a language i couldn't understand.

BenBergen

WCA
2015BERG10
Bumping this thread because I have the same issue with my (stickerless) QiYi Square-1: the bottom layer is much faster than the top layer. I tried putting different weight lubes on the layers but that only makes a small difference. And when I swap the layers (i.e. do /(6,6)/) the bottom is still faster, so it can't be an issue with imperfections on the corner or edge pieces. Any ideas what might be causing this and how to fix it?