• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How do you compare to other cubers your age?

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keep the responses coming... no need to feel shy about your times.

AgeCounts.png
AgeBandTimes.png

MethodCounts.png
MethodTimes.png

GenderCounts.png
GenderTimes.png

Respondents: 116

Mean age of respondents: 22yrs
Median age of respondents: 18yrs
Mean speed: 20.2
IQM speed: 16.8

CFOPers: 100
Rouxists: 8
ZZophiles: 4
Others: 4

Male: 109
Female: 7

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's a sexy graph - a scatter chart of all times thus far (as of 0100 GMT 01/04/2014) with a polynomial trend line (order 4):

70dkde.png

How do you compare to other cubers your age? Simple - are you above or below the line?

Results are slightly skewed by the single 11 year old and 56 year old at either end; however the general trend is quite interesting, and seems to indicate:

1. From 11 to 20, people get steadily faster
  2. The prime age for cubers is 20-21
  3. From 21 to 30, there is a steady rise in times
  4. From 30 onwards, times level off and seem to plateau

Which I guess confirms many of my suspicions re: the relationship between free time and cubing ability.

The most interesting part (IMHO) is the 30+ plateau. I'd argue that this contradicts the common 'old hands' argument about why older cubers can't keep up with younger ones. I don't think I'll ever be sub-10, perhaps because I started a little too late, but I think sub 15/14/13/12 is definitely doable at almost any age.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here's a sexy graph - a scatter chart of all times thus far (as of 0100 GMT 01/04/2014) with a polynomial trend line (order 4):

Yeah this is really interesting. I'd be curious to see it with the sup-60 outliers removed and the vertical axis expanded, and with a quadratic trend line, or possibly just exponential. Order 4 doesn't really make sense as a trend, and just allows the 56-yo outlier to dominate the line. With a simpler trend line I suspect we will see a gradual slow down with age rather than a plateau...

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah this is really interesting. I'd be curious to see it with the sup-60 outliers removed and the vertical axis expanded, and with a quadratic trend line, or possibly just exponential. Order 4 doesn't really make sense as a trend, and just allows the 56-yo outlier to dominate the line. With a simpler trend line I suspect we will see a gradual slow down with age rather than a plateau...

I'd second the above comments. Firstly it is definitely interesting!

It would also be good to see an alternative trend line perhaps with sup-40 outliers removed (~4% of the data).

This study should be repeated every 5 or 10 years to see how the current teenagers fair in later life. ;)

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd be curious to see it with the sup-60 outliers removed and the vertical axis expanded, and with a quadratic trend line, or possibly just exponential.
Ask, and ye shall receive...
Txeyv4K.jpg

Sup-60s removed. Axes expanded. Order 2 (quadratic) trendline added, along with exponent.

I like the idea of working from IQM, to eliminate the top and bottom 25% of results. I added the IQM line to the graph, and experimented with using trendlines which look at global average, and trendlines which look at IQM. For obvious reasons, IQM gave clearer results.

With a simpler trend line I suspect we will see a gradual slow down with age rather than a plateau...
Both new trend lines show this, although the quadratic line seems to still rise artificially towards the end. In that sense, I think the exponential gives a better 'fit'.

I might revise the IQM data to remove entries for years where there are <4 respondents, allowing a smoother line and, potentially, more telling trends. Any thoughts??
It would also be good to see an alternative trend line perhaps with sup-40 outliers removed (~4% of the data).

This study should be repeated every 5 or 10 years to see how the current teenagers fair in later life. ;)
I can do this if you wish.

I'd assume the average age of respondents will increase slightly, and the demographic will shift, because there has been a surge of interest in cubing in the past few years. This is clear from the number of respondents by age. It will be interesting to see if more new cubers step in to replace the current crop of 11-15 year olds, or if they just get older, and we have the same chart with all the X axis values shifted up by 5!!! (and hopefully the Y values slightly lower, for some of us?!)

AVg: 18.23 sec
Please read the original post - this thread isn't looking for a PB average, but your GLOBAL average.

Last edited:

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
New chart
Very nice! The additional detail in the Y axis makes it a lot easier to read and the new trend lines are cool. It's also helpful to see the IQM data.

although the quadratic line seems to still rise artificially towards the end. In that sense, I think the exponential gives a better 'fit'.

I'm slightly torn but I think the quadratic might be more representative. If we were to find younger and older cubers (under 10, over 70), I'd expect to see a curve at both ends. I guess the quadratic looks closest to what I'd draw by hand if I were to draw a smooth line through the IQM. It also seems to tie in with my original charts where times improved towards 20 years old then started to get slower.

I might revise the IQM data to remove entries for years where there are <4 respondents, allowing a smoother line and, potentially, more telling trends. Any thoughts??

Perhaps you can calculate the IQM for age bands (similar to my experiments) and use those as data points (plotting the data points mid-way in the age band)? The bands I used contain 10 to 15 responses and the curve should be pretty smooth. If the trend lines are similar to the ones in your second graph then it may help to back up any conclusions.

I can do this if you wish.

Looking at the new graph, I think restricting it to sub-40 will be beneficial... more detail in the Y-axis. The sup-40 times don't seem to affect any of the trends.

Edit: I notice there is a bit of a spike for the 41 year olds. I think the IQM should be 33.5 and the mean 38.0. This seems to be causing a lot of the artificial final rise on the quadratic.

Last edited:

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm slightly torn but I think the quadratic might be more representative.

Agreed - however see what happens (below) to the quadratic when making the other suggested changes...

Perhaps you can calculate the IQM for age bands (similar to my experiments) and use those as data points (plotting the data points mid-way in the age band)?
done...

Looking at the new graph, I think restricting it to sub-40 will be beneficial... more detail in the Y-axis. The sup-40 times don't seem to affect any of the trends.
...and done!
NLYJlaO.jpg

Added a cubic as well, just for fun, and because I thought there might be two separate trends developing.

Interestingly, the IQM data points fit nicely onto a cubic trend line.
I notice there is a bit of a spike for the 41 year olds. I think the IQM should be 33.5 and the mean 38.0. This seems to be causing a lot of the artificial final rise on the quadratic.
Will check my formulae and let you know...

Last edited:

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool... it's coming together. Have you plotted the IQM for 30-39 year olds at the wrong place on the x-axis (~24 years)?

Once that's corrected the trend may well sort itself out.