• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Earmuff/Earplugs for comp

How many of you use earmuffs/Earplugs?

• Total voters
WCA
2022TAND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, wondering if earmuffs at comp is still a thing. I have a set of earphones that are spoiled, can i still use them?
Do you guys still wear earmuffs in comp or earplugs? If so, what db does your earmuffs or earplugs block?

cuberswoop

WCA
2022FROU01
Hey guys, wondering if earmuffs at comp is still a thing.
Yup.
I have a set of earphones that are spoiled, can i still use them?
Nope
Do you guys still wear earmuffs in comp or earplugs?
I tried once but they were too small for my big ol' ears.
If so, what db does your earmuffs or earplugs block?
Noise.

I really, really want to get some earplugs that fit me, the sound of judges that talk to me during my solves is annoying and I don't have the heart to tell a 7-year-old to stop talking to me when he just wants to make friends and have fun at a competition.

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, wondering if earmuffs at comp is still a thing. I have a set of earphones that are spoiled, can i still use them?
Do you guys still wear earmuffs in comp or earplugs? If so, what db does your earmuffs or earplugs block?
Wearing earmuffs in comp is a thing. Most people use them for the BLD events, but many top solvers use them for other events as well.
However, they cannot be electronic headphones, even if they are broken or turned off.

• 2i1) Competitors may use non-electronic aids that do not give an unfair advantage, at the discretion of the WCA Delegate. This includes:
    • 2i1a) Medical/physical aids worn by the competitor (e.g. glasses, wrist brace). As an exception to Regulation 2i, medical aids may be electronic if the competitor does not have comfortable non-electronic alternatives (e.g. if the competitor has a personal hearing aid or pacemaker).
    • 2i1b) Earplugs and earmuffs (but not electronic headphones and earbuds).
    • 2i1c) Hand warmers.
    • 2i1d) Food and drink.

I bought a pair of earmuffs something like these back in 2016 I started practicing 3BLD and MBLD.

I really, really want to get some earplugs that fit me, the sound of judges that talk to me during my solves is annoying and I don't have the heart to tell a 7-year-old to stop talking to me when he just wants to make friends and have fun at a competition.
You should absolutely tell the 7 year old judges to not distract you during your solves. It's okay to tell them that judging is not the place to make friends, they can do that with the other kids at the other tables that aren't in the competition area. It will make it a better experience for other competitors after you as well.

WCA
2022TAND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It just can't be electronic.
Okay. What if I convert it?

Wearing earmuffs in comp is a thing. Most people use them for the BLD events, but many top solvers use them for other events as well.
However, they cannot be electronic headphones, even if they are broken or turned off.

• 2i1) Competitors may use non-electronic aidsthat do not give an unfair advantage, at the discretion of the WCA Delegate. This includes:
    • 2i1a) Medical/physical aids worn by the competitor (e.g. glasses, wrist brace). As an exception to Regulation 2i, medical aids may be electronic if the competitor does not have comfortable non-electronic alternatives (e.g. if the competitor has a personal hearing aid or pacemaker).
    • 2i1b) Earplugs and earmuffs (but not electronic headphones and earbuds).
    • 2i1c) Hand warmers.
    • 2i1d) Food and drink.

I bought a pair of earmuffs something like these back in 2016 I started practicing 3BLD and MBLD.

You should absolutely tell the 7 year old judges to not distract you during your solves. It's okay to tell them that judging is not the place to make friends, they can do that with the other kids at the other tables that aren't in the competition area. It will make it a better experience for other competitors after you as well.
hmm, but aren’t ear muffs ex?

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay. What if I convert it?
No, this is not allowed.

hmm, but aren’t ear muffs ex?
I don't know what this means, but I copied a direct regulation that explicitly states earplugs and earmuffs are allowed in competition. This refers to the type of non-electric, non-noise cancelling ear muffs like the ones I linked to on amazon. The type you might find at a construction site or a shooting range.

WCA
2022TAND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, this is not allowed.

I don't know what this means, but I copied a direct regulation that explicitly states earplugs and earmuffs are allowed in competition. This refers to the type of non-electric, non-noise cancelling ear muffs like the ones I linked to on amazon. The type you might find at a construction site or a shooting range.
I mean expensive.
I need a reason for my parents why i need the earmuffs

UncleFrank

I mean expensive.
I need a reason for my parents why i need the earmuffs

Nope, can't use any kind of electronic or powered earphones/headphones, even if they no longer work, no matter what. Can't be "noise canceling", because those are electronic.
Some people use earplugs, but they don't block out near as much noise as earmuffs. Earmuffs for cold weather won't work either, need to be the kind used for hearing protection for construction, outdoor power equipment, or shooting sports (like on a gun range).

Plain unpowered, non-electronic, ear muffs for hearing protection can be found in all kind of hardware stores, because they're often used in construction and around outdoor power equipment. ~$10usd and up. Can also be found on Amazon.sg and AliExpress.

Just tell them that everyone uses them for the blindfolded events, for practice and at comps, to block out every distraction, to help you concentrate on memorization. Find some youtube videos of some BLD events with people wearing earmuffs, to show your parents.