• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Buying new cubes

moedervlekje

Well, I got my times down to like 1min on this old ****ty toy store cube, so I tought, why not buy a decent cube. All my stickers have gone off, and I have to check like 2-3 seconds if its either a yellow or white one, some I had to replace by own made stickers, ... You might want to call it junk :D

So I was checking the hardware area.
Everybody uses a DIY (a) core with the other parts of a DIY (d).
However, checking cubefans it doesn't say DIY at the (d) one. Is this just someting that's forgotten, or is it a different type of cube?

Question number 2: What does DIY stands for?
Question number 3: Is there anyting I need except for a DIY (a) and a (d)?

Have fun answering my questions! =D

ShadenSmith

WCA
2008SMIT01
DIY = Do it yourself

That means you have to assemble it all yourself, including the core.

Not everyone uses that formula for a cube. I use the old type a myself, but I've never gotten to try out a D.

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You should probably just stick to buying storeboughts until you absolutely need a DIY. It saves you money and time. If you haven't already done so, you should buy a can of spray silicone. I'm not gonna mention the name because it's been mentioned so many times.

mrbiggs

If you get a rubik's brand cube, they can actually be excellent if you break them in and lube them. There are videos on youtube telling you how to do this.

Yu Nakajima apparently used a rubik's storebought in some of his videos. (But I forget which ones so I'm not particularly helpful).

In any case, you'll get a decent cube which can get you down to very low times without the hassle of online ordering.

immortalcube

I'm still using the Rubik's store cube I got 2-3 months ago, and it's starting to get a LOT looser and smoother. I'm sub-40 with it. I made my own stickers too, out of colored electrical tape, and it looks really trashy, lol.